Has anyone used a spray on grout sealer?

I saw a commercial for a "spray on grout sealer". It looked like you did not have to worry about it getting on the ceramic tile with overspray. Looked easy....that makes me worry. Any luck / suggestions?

Thanks Dave

Reply to
pearl

I believe a bunch was recalled due to bad reactions to the inhaled spray. Some one changed the recipe without permission.

Reply to
Art

I recently used Tile Perfect's "Spray On" Grout Sealer. It came in a 15 oz. aerosol. Bought it at Home Depot.

I used it to seal the grout in ceramic tile floor (kitchen and bathroom). The tile is white with a bit of a pattern. The grout was beige/sand colored.

No problem with application or fumes. The directions advise that the over spray on the tile will evaporate. I did wipe up some areas where the spray had pooled a bit but no extreme measures otherwise. I ran some floor fans to speed up the drying process.

No discoloration of the tile or the grout. I did initially have some areas where the grout was slightly darker due to over application (an 'oh sh*t' moment for me) but 24 hours or so later the grout coloring was consistent.

I did test the sealer in an area before applying it to the entire floor. I would use the product again.

Having said all of that, I haven't had any major spills so I can't attest to the sealant's ability to repel stain.

Reply to
nospam

I've used a product: "stand n seal", that worked well for me. No problem with over spray, etc. After it was sealed a friend dropped a quart of red paint on the sandstone grout...it wiped up with a damp cloth and cannot be seen in the grout line.

Use in a well ventilated area..

Oren

oren

Read this regarding spray on sealers:

newsreader

Another read on the subject:

newsreader

Thanks for the very important reads!!! Might be a good product, but I'd like to live to see the tile :-) With that said, what product should I use to seal about a thousand sq. feet of tile. Thanks again

Dave aka "pearl"

Reply to
pearl

I'd suggest:

or

if the tile is somewhat absorbant. If you really only need to seal the grout, try this:

newsreader

Product Recall

The product label for Stand ?n Seal Grout Sealer clearly warns users against breathing vapors, and the product is formulated to have a chemically pungent odor, which alerts consumers to the presence of potentially harmful vapors. We have safely marketed and sold more than one million cans of the product with virtually no complaints of injury due to exposure to vapors. A small number of production batches were made by our contract manufacturer with an unapproved change in raw materials, which resulted in a less chemically pungent formula. The less repellent odor of the affected batches does not provide the immediate sensory (smell) warning that the user is being exposed to vapors, even though this is clearly warned against. Upon learning of the unapproved change in raw materials, we immediately undertook a voluntary recall of the affected product. As of August 6th, all product containing the alternate raw material has been removed from the shelves of The Home Depot stores. Replacement product has been made available to affected retailers using the correct formulation. We regret the situation, and are working with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to publicize the recall and address consumer concerns. Anyone who purchased defective product can return it to their local Home Depot store for a full refund. Affected products have batch numbers - - found on the bottom of the can - - that start with any of the following six-digit codes: A20985 A30985 A10995 A20995 A30995 A11015 A21015 A31015 A11025 A21445 A31445 A11455 A21455 A31455 A11465 A21465 For additional information, consumers can call 800-552-6225 ext. 2572

cornerbar

My husband used this product on our tile in June 2005 and ended up in the emergency room couldn't breathe. His health has never been the same. A bad down hill experience. Basically it fried his lungs and he's on oxygen 24/7

Reply to
Grabenmj