Has anyone Tried to Recycle heat from Dryer vent?

Page 4 of 4

Back in college I used to rubber band a stocking to the dryer exhaust. Mine was also in the basement. Never saw mold, but I was in college, so I may not have noticed. -Jen

Me too but I had mold. Smoked that too...
"lbbs" wrote

A simple filter will not take care of the humidity being dumped into the house, which could lead to a seriously increased risk of mould and rot.
The correct way to do this is to use a heat exchanger. The warm wet air from the tumble passes through the heat exchanger to the outside, losing its heat as it does so. Fresh air from outside passes through the heat exchanger, picking up the heat as it does so, and comes pre-warmed into the house. But the two currents of air never mix. It's quite common to do this (along with colelcting waste heat from bathroom extractor fans and the like) in whole-house ventilation systems in the UK (althoug such systems are themselves quite rare). As many homes in the US have ducted warm air it might be more feasible to make use of this. http://www.villavent.co.uk/heat-recovery-ventilation.htm http://www.vent-axia.com/awwebstore/products/airminder/airminder.asp
Of course, flueing for gas tumble dryers must always comply with local safety regulations.
Owain