Has anyone made or considered a very low cost Underground Storm Shelter ? Need some advice.

Page 1 of 3
Ive researched many professionally made Fiberglass/Concrete/Metal underground storm shelters but the cost is prohibitive..usually well over $3500.00 . Id like to sink some kind of a waterproof box that would fit one adult ... approx. 3 feet into the ground , located in the corner of my garage which currently is very sandy soil. The box would need to have a removable/swing down lid with the top 6" of the box above ground level. The top would need to be well secured from within the box once the person is inside. To ensure it remains water proof, i would line the hole with a double layer of thick plastic sheeting.
Ive tried doing a google search under 'Fiberglass Boxes' and 'Cargo Boxes' and cannot find something suitable. I have considered a thick fiberglass auto cargo carrier if i could find one 6' long by 3' wide . Do you have any idea what I could use as a low cost solution ? Looking to get away with spending no more than a few hundred dollars at most. Thanks much.

P.S. YES, ive considered a Coffin...but i dont want to go there ! (at least not just yet) :)
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

sell your house and buy one with an early Cold War-era fallout shelter?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Rather than a hole in the ground, how about a "safe room" above ground. Cheaper, DIY, tornado proof. Look for the idea at www.polysteel.com
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Actually, an above ground shelter that can withstand a tornado is generally a *lot* more expensive to build than an underground one. In fact, the FEMA "taking shelter from the storm" publication shows by far the cheapest and simplest which is a length of large diameter drain pipe buried vertically in the ground with a ladder and a cover. My plan is to bury a 20' cargo container ($1,500 or so), and weld a hatch and some stairs into it.

It can be more expensive, but it does not have to be. Depends on what you want for amenities and size. I'd rather be above ground after the storm than below too. How long do you want to stay in that drain pipe with the wife, kids and dog?
It rather go this route http://www.polysteel.com/saferooms2.htm
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Well, I have no wife, kids or dog, just me and the cat, and as I noted, my tornado bunker is going to be a 20' cargo container, which is 20' x 8' x 8'. I expect to have a desk, cot, power, network, etc. in said bunker for proactive retreats under tornado watches to eliminate made dashes at 1am.
I considered building a combination pantry / safe room next to my kitchen where I have space, however it would cost substantially more than my cargo container design, and that is 100% DIY for either.

You wrote this in another post: "I have plans on the drawing board for something similar where I'll live in my truck camper and keep a pretty complete metalworking shop in my 24' enclosed trailer when I go into "hermit mode" on some property I own as global civilization implodes due to the economic tidy bowl swirl."
Why not make that enclosed trailer out of a container and keep it on the wheels? Build a bermed culvert, lined with whatever, and just roll the thing in and tie it down. Think of it as a safe on wheels.
And lighten up a bit...life's too short.

I wouldn't worry about it. Tornadoes cause about 80 deaths a year in the US. There are 465,000 deaths from tobacco use, 365,000 deaths from poor diet and inactivity, 85,000 from alcohol, 26,000 from motor vehicle accidents, 21,000 homicides, and 7,600 deaths from aspirin. There are 365 deaths a year from bath tubs (drowning and falls). -- Doug
Douglas Johnson wrote:

Yabut some of those are accidents and some stupidity. God helps those who help themselves is still true. BUT most tornado victims are killed due to lack of warnings.
Lou
LouB wrote: ...

I'd recast that that _most_ are killed due to lack of paying attention _and_acting_on_ warnings.
Some are missed entirely, of course, and some are quite short time but most have adequate warning if are prepared and respond.
The "ignore the danger" thought is indicative of not living in a high-risk area and been through one or cleaned up after nearby one.

I live in Dallas, Texas, so it is medium high risk. I've carried out bodies afterwards.
There are so many ways to get killed. One of them is guaranteed to get me. If I worried about all the low probability risks, I'd be to busy to enjoy the time I've got.
Tornados are a good example of how badly people think about risk. Like plane crashes, they are spectacular events that are relatively rare, so they get lots of press coverage. So people tend to thing of them as much riskier than they are. The real high risks are those things that steadily and quietly kill some people here and some there every day, such as heart attacks and cancer.
Don't smoke, eat well. Wear seat belts. Watch your weight and blood pressure. I'd guess it is far more cost effective to invest in an automatic defibrillator than a tornado shelter.
-- Doug
Douglas Johnson wrote: ...

And one might as well not bother to buy fire insurance, either. Odds just aren't that good on collecting.

Actually, fire insurance is pretty cheap for what you are insuring because the odds of collecting are low. Besides, it is required by mortgage companies and is bundled with homeowner's insurance, which, at least for me, has paid off pretty well.
But that's not my point. If you are going to spend money reducing your risk of death, you should spend on the high risks, not the low ones. The risk of death from heart attacks is about 5000 times that of tornadoes. -- Doug
Douglas Johnson wrote:

The problem is you are comparing the proverbial apples and oranges. Heart attacks are a risk for the entire country, while tornadoes, while technically possible anywhere, are primarily a risk in tornado alley. Find the population of tornado alley and adjust your heart attack numbers to that population and then you might have a valid comparison.

Well, there are clusters for other risks, too. I agree tornado risks are higher in "tornado alley". But if as little as 10% of the population lives in tornado alley and all the tornados are in tornado alley, then heart attacks are still 500 times more likely than tornados.
Here http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr53/nvsr53_05acc.pdf is the National Vital Statistics Report on Deaths in 2002. It includes numbers of deaths caused by everything from malignant neoplasms (557,271) to accidental discharge of a firearm (762). Tornados do not even make the list.
-- Doug
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:47:43 -0500, Douglas Johnson

I might argue with your numbers for tobacco and diet but. . .
As long as you're scaring folks-I just saw this number last week and it blew my mind- 195,000 deaths from medical errors in hospitals. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/11856.php
That would make it the #3 cause of death on the CDC's list for 2005- the latest I could find- http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/FASTATS/lcod.htm [behind Heart disease @652K & cancer @559K, but ahead of Stroke at a mere 143K]
Jim
Douglas Johnson wrote:

Scale your other stats to match the population in tornado alley and they might have some relevance.
Pete C. wrote:

You going to dig that hole by hand? And how to get that box in the hole?
Lou
LouB wrote:

Hell no, I'll rent a fairly large excavator (~200 size) for a weekend to handle both tasks. A 20' container is only about 5,000#, well within the lifting capacity of that size excavator. I've got both United Rentals and Nations Rent within 15 miles so delivery/pickup costs won't be too significant.