Has anyone here paid for an energy audit? Is it worth it?

I called my utility to ask if they offer a free energy audit and the answer was no. They told me they could refer me to a service that does them for about $100. Is it worth the money to have someone come out and perform this service? Did you save any money after implementing their suggestions?

Reply to
Joe

It depends. if you have reason to think your insulation/air sealing etc is less than ideal, yet aren't sure what to do and where to do it, then yes.I have a friend who paid for an audit and they found several major uninsulated spots that he was able to remedy (His kitchen had a dropped ceiling that was basically open to an uninsulated area). Is he saving money? How can you be sure unless you keep perfect records of the temperature, thermostat settings, fuel consumption, etc. But with today's energy costs, 100 bucks seems like small potatoes. Besides, gains in comfort level are worth something too. Personally, I have a pretty good understanding of my house's weak spots, so I'd be wasting my money.

Reply to
marson

Depends on what they do. If the person comes out with an IR scanner maybe. If its the clowns who wander around your house for 15 minutes, suggest you install storm windows and hand you a packet of outlet insulators, no.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

get a air door pressure test

thats the only really effective energy saver

it shows all the air leaks

Reply to
hallerb

Depends on your ability. If you can crawl into the attic to check how much insulation you have, that is probably the most physical demanding part. The rest is checking window seal, lighting types, etc. Read up a little and do your own audit.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

No. It just shows the total. IR helps...

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Most of the ones the utility companies were doing included stuff like the positive pressure tests to identify where, specifically, there were leaks and so on as well.

I'd suspect if they (the utility) is referring to a specific service they would be competent but it never hurts to ask what, specifically, the audit would encompass.

As you say, much is pretty self-evident to a reasonably aware person, but a little "trick-of-the trade" expertise never hurts if it comes w/ the service.

--

Reply to
dpb

not if they go around with a smoke pencil and draft detection.

lets you know what to plug

Reply to
hallerb

If they perform a combustion test of all gas appliances, a blower door test and an IR scan, then it's worth it.

Reply to
Zed

Joe if you were here in Canada, there is an offer at wich you may get grants and 0% loans if you get tests done. Their might be some in your area too. Blower door test is done on the house and they will go around the house finding other colprits such as phantom loads, energy star appliances... like it was mentioned before do a little reaserch and you may find some of these things yourself but for a 100$ I think its a good bet if you are think you are paying too much for your power.

[here] When they come and give you the test, they grade you and tell you were to improve things, then they come back and retest to see the improvements and with your scores and improvments you get the grants for the areas you have improved.

Here is a link to one program offered. Canadian:

IR scan... I need to look into that one. cln

Reply to
cln

Thanks for the reminder, I called the gas co here and they acted like I was out of my mind - they could not even refer me to a contractor. Sheesh. I had insulation blown in recently but the house is still a sieve.

Reply to
roger61611