has anyone heard?

Page 1 of 2
my son just bought a house with a FORD refrigerator.................... the refrigerator side opens VERY easily, will this be a problem? it seems to be holding the cold in just fine.
thanks, rosie

refrigerators. Your

Turtle,
This isn't one of those REALLY old models that used the equivalant of cyanide gas instead of freon, is it? Seems I recall reading somewhere that there was a point in time when fridges were killing people if the thing sprunk a leak.
Matt
rosie read n' post wrote:

No, I had not heard that news.

Magic 8-Ball says "Ask Again later"

That's weird. Usually refrigerators keep the heat out. Odd.

You're welcome!!!!
Joe

This is Turtle.
Yes, They were very popular years back but called Ford Philco but later on just known as Philco. Ford Auto owned Philco and just put their name on it.
TURTLE

Philco was around independent far before being bought them...
Philco was the manufacturer of a line of high-end scientific-use (primarily) computers in the early mainframe days along w/ their many end-user products...

This is Turtle.
I was only speaking of the Ford Philco when they were making refrigerators. Your speaking total history which I don't really know about.
TURTLE
TURTLE wrote:

Your post sorta' turned the history around...you said "Ford Philco but later on just known as Philco.". I'm pointing out it was the other-way 'round...Philco was around for a long time <before> being purchased by Ford, so the name of Philco was common name long before there was a "Philco Ford" branding...I was just trying to give you some historical context.
Philco was sorta' like a smaller GE in those days....not <quite> as diverse, but a major player in many areas.
I wonder if I could get a Chevy to go with my Chevy, good idea Ford friges park it next to your Ford
Matt wrote:

A <very> brief overview which doesn't talk of the diversification beyond the initial batteries, etc., into much more than radios, etc.
http://www.philcoradio.com/history.htm
Took a little longer, but here's a link to some promotional pictures of the Philco 2000...similar to first machine I worked on out of school. :) The particular one had 27(!) 7-track tape drives (this was before even drum storage, what more disks...)
http://www.luminquest.com/HOC/PhilcoTransact.htm
I found in brief looking very little of the rest of Philco's product lines in their heyday...
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I was looking for references to the more industrial products and other non-consumer goods, specifically. They had a pretty broad range of industrial control equipment, etc., as well as the consumer products group.
I saw that reference to the Philco name/K-Mart thing in one of the links I found--it's a licensed usage from Phillips by an off-shore, apparently.
The purchase was '62 according to one of the sources...although my recollection was that it was later than that as I'm fairly sure it wasn't Ford at the time I went to work in '68 for the Philco 2000 (at least it seemed like I was working for the machine, not the other way 'round more often than not! :) )...or at least, the 'puter support group didn't have Ford name associated w/ them until roughly your time frame as I recollect. Of course, that's beginning to be just a while ago and my memories are undoubtedly not what they once were... :)

This is Turtle.
How about a International Havester Gas furnace to go in your home. We installed them up till the early 1960's. Also how about a International Havester Cooling system and condenser unit to go with your gas furnace. You could order all your hvac equipment at the Internationsal Havester tractor place and get your refrigerator at the Ford Dealership.
TURTLE
I belive they used ammonia + sulfer dioxide.
Combo sounds pretty toxic and 18 pounds in the closed space most likely will kill ya. Not good your pasta either.
Brian
George E. Cawthon wrote:

Dr. Kevorkian's DIY Euthanasia Kit...? ;)

Philco was into all the major appliances. They also made radios for use in Ford cars. IIRC, they were bought by Ford in the late 60's or early 70's. The name is still being used. I've seen Philco TVs in K Mart and I've seen Philco air conditioners made by Frigidaire in their Edison NJ plant (now also closed)

This is Turtle.
i don't know what your tring to say here but G/E Corp. in Refrigerators in the late 1940's or early 1950's or there abouts made refrigerators with SO4 as the refrigerant in it. My Father worked on them and I was the Kid helper. I do remember working on one refrigerator on maginolia street where the SO4 charge was let loose in the kitchen of a customer by accident . A tubing line broke off and my father and I run for our live to the out doors. We got to re enter the house in about 2 hours to finish.
The last SO4 refrigerator i seen was about 12 years ago when a fellow brought it to you to try to fix it. I done away with the SO4 50 pound drum of gas we had about 15 years ago. We had stainless steel guages and everything we had to work on them with was stainless steel material or rubber hoses.
I don't remember anybody getting killed with the SO4 refrigerators but Carl Harmon spent 3 days in the hospital for breathing a vapor he was hit with he thought you put a regular tap on it for freon and not SO4 type tap. And No it was not amonia type refigerator for amonia if spilled out. You walk away and no problem but SO4 if you don't run your dead.
George they did make SO4 refrigerator to use in your home years ago for I've worked on them. Now as to what the name is for SO4 for refrigerators is , you be the judge for we called it SO or SO4 .
TURTLE
TURTLE wrote:

Don't need to be too cautious Turtle. I don't know, and don't care, if Philco was first independent or first owned by Ford. And maybe the Philco that made scientific instruments isn't even related to the Philco that Ford owned. They might have just bought the name.
Ford-Philco was the common name used for radios in Fords and those car radios said Philco on them way back when. Heck, in my garage I've got a lousy am radio sitting on a shelf in my garage; took it out of my 1973 F250. It says Philco. I imagine that Ford either no longer owns Philco or sold the name because some Ford radios just say Ford and some have no brand on them.
Matt wrote:

Where do people come up with this crap. Old electric refrigerators used ammonia and then they switched to freon. And what does equivalent of cyanide gas mean? Either they used cyanide or they didn't. You really think anyone ever put cyanide in a home product?
wrote in message

I just threw out one of their double oven ranges last year. It said GM Frigidaire on it. Close to 40 years old.
thanks for the help guys!
PHILCO FORD has come up with a lot more hits when put in the browser.

GM used to make refrigerators. They owned the original Frigidaire line before it was sold and went to crap.