has anybody compiled a list of rapid return energy saving measures?

Page 2 of 2

...might use 0.75 gpm of hot water and 0.75 gpm of cold.

And we might close the toilet valve so it takes 5 min vs 30 sec to fill.
Nick
"If it takes 'quite a few gallons' to flush out the cold water then you
are using pipes too big, and probably metal pipes as well. "
Oh yeah? And how big is your house. In a two story 4000 sq ft house, you can easily have a long run from the water heater to an upstairs bathroom.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net says...

Then, in many ways more than this thing about getting the hot water going, a rapid return energy savings can be obtained by moving to a smaller house.
Not the answer you looked for.... ;-)
Banty

I hate to split hairs but the energy savings from the tankless is that you don't keep 40 gallons of water hot and on standby. The energy used to fill flush the pipe is the same with either, unless you get the tankless close to the tap. Maybe that is what you are talking about. In that case, you would be right and I covered that advantage in the last paragraph of my previous post.
"I hate to split hairs but the energy savings from the tankless is that
you don't keep 40 gallons of water hot and on standby. The energy used
to fill flush the pipe is the same with either, unless you get the tankless close to the tap. Maybe that is what you are talking about. "
Yes, that is what I pictured in my mind, because the tankless ones I've seen have been close to the point of use. If you just replace a regular water heater with a tankless, then I agree, the same amount of energy is wasted due to the pipe runs.
has anybody compiled a list of rapid return energy saving measures?
Hang your clothes out to dry instead of using those wasteful automatic dryers.-Jitney