Harwood Floors/ Particle Board ARGH!

HELP! I was about to install 800 sqft of 3 1/4 maples hardwood upstairs when a friend mentioned, hey you have particle board underlayment - you can't install hardwoods on PB. It seems EXTREMELY difficult to remove. Should I try to remove it? If so, is there a trick to removing it? Can I just nail and screw down plywood overtop of it? Any advice you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated! thanks!

I some what doubt that you have particle board as flooring. Maybe OSB/stranded/chip board. These can be used for structural. Particle board is used for cabinets and shelves. Better check before you jump

Particle board was definitely used in lots of '70's houses. My parents have one of those, and since they are installing hardwoods in yet another room, they are dealing with the same issue. I'd simply set my circular saw to a reasonable depth, cut the particle board into managable sections, and use a pry bar to remove it.
KB

have
Same here for one bedroom. I tore it all up and replaced it with 5/8" span-rated underlayment. Lots of work, but can be done in half a day or less if you're organized.
-- Take care,
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
VIDEO PRODUCTION FILM SCANNING DVD MASTERING AUDIO RESTORATION Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm Business sites at: www.dv-clips.com www.mwcomms.com www.adventuresinanimemusic.com -
Thanks! That's exactly what I ended up doing, and it seems to be working pretty well. Unfortunately, we just finished painting all our rooms, now they're covered in sawdust! cant win! thanks again