Hardwwod floor installation question

I want to install hardwood floors on my entire first floor level. Unfortunitely, the joists don't run in the same direction. In the kitchen, entry, and most of the living room, they run east/west. In the dining room and the rest of the living room, they run north/south. I don't want to change direction on the flooring, or as someone suggested, running the flooring at a diagonal. I don't think either of these solutions would look right. What are my other options? thanks in advance.
Pergo type laminate?

Should not make a difference if the floor is solid. Be sure to use the felt pad not the foam pad. Makes a world of difference in the feel of the floor.
Go with a glue-down application instead of a nail-down.

On 31 Mar 2004 17:11:10 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike) wrote:

As someone else mentioned, if the floor is solid you could have them all running in the same direction. I would want a thick subfloor for this.