Hardwoor flooring squeak

We have a large squeak in our hardwood floor. Its about 3 feet by 3 feet. I contacted the builder and he says there really is nothing he can do. I said what !! The home is only 3 months old.

I was thinking of bracing the floor joists underneath as the basement is not finished. Would that help ? Is there anything else that can be tried to silence a hardwood floor squeak ?

Thanks.

Reply to
car crash

Search the net for keywords like "hardwood floor" and "squeak". The squeak is caused by two materials rubbing against each other.

If the bottom side is exposed (sounds like it is) there are several things that I've seen. If the joist is moving, x-bracing it against others should help. If it's the subfloor on the joist I've had pretty good success with a bead of flooring glue along the edge of the joist and subfloor with glued shims driven inbetween. I've also seen some brackets that are designed for this.

If it's the hardwood on the subfloor it may be a little trickier. An appropriate length screw can be used from the bottom, through the subfloor and into the hardwood. I'd try everything else first though.

IMO, the contractor is trying to get rid of you. Certainly

*something* can be done. Tell him to tear up the floor and fix it. Then see what ingenious solutions he comes up with then. ;-)
Reply to
krw