Hardwood Stair Question

I'm starting a major remodel on my home soon and will be putting in Bloodwood floors. Its the stairs that are giving me the trouble. I know 5/4 or 1" thich is standard for treads and this is fine with somthing like oak, but I have only found Bloodwood in 4/4 (too thin after milling, or is it?) and 8/4 (too thick and expensive). My question is are the 3/4" flooring planks usable for stair treads? Here's what i'm thinking, use 3/4" plywood on treads covered by the

3/4 " hardwood planks, the risers (which will be painted wood) will cover the ply tread, I can eaven use a routed out housed stringer like normal. one more issue, the bull nosed leading edge and return should be one inch or so thick, right? so I guess I will have to custom rabbet these from larger stock. Am I on the right track or should I scrap the idea. Thanks
Reply to
Casey

glue 2 4/4 boards together or glue a cheaper & thinner wood to the back.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

The maximum difference between all risers should be < 3/8" or so. You usually don't lay the top and bottom treads if there is existing floors above and below. How do one handle this difference?

Reply to
W G

snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Casey) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

You are correct, you can use the flooring strips with a bull nose and it is typically 1 1/8. Not a sgood looking over time as solid treads. For bull nosing, glue some together if necessary.

tweaked