hardwood over particle board

I just nailed hardwood flooring (3/4 inch) to a particle board subfloor. NOW I know this was a mistake. What can I do to fix it? The particle board is the subfloor in this house--it was not put over a more durable subfloor. Can I put long nails through the face of the new floor into the joints.
If I have to pull up the floor, what is the easiest way to do this without destroying the floor? I'm pretty sick about this--we don't have 5000 to blow and it looks like we did just that.

What is the problem? Nails pulling up?
I'd consider using screws rather than nails, but it is a time consuming process. Drill a 3/8" hole with a forstner bit, about 3/8" deep. Then drill a pilot hole into the joist. You'd need a minimum of 2" long screw, probably 2 1/2" would be better. Drive the screw, then put a plug in the countersunk hole, cut flush, sand, refinish. When done, it may actually enhance the appearance, unlike a nail head. .

Now why would you do a silly thing like that?
steven wrote:

Steven,
HOW do you know you made a mistake? Is it tongue and groove hardwood? The T&G is there to help with the wood expansion without the joints buckling. Is there a gap at the walls for expansion? If it is in a bathroom or kitchen, where there will be lots of moisture on the floor, yes you did make a mistake. That might be tempered with quite a few coats of poly or marine varnish.
I have OSB subflooring with no degradation to the hardwood flooring on top of it. As long as there is not a lot of moisture coming from below the particle board it should be ok. Relax, enjoy your new floor.
Joe