hardwood over particle board

I just nailed hardwood flooring (3/4 inch) to a particle board subfloor. NOW I know this was a mistake. What can I do to fix it? The particle board is the subfloor in this house--it was not put over a more durable subfloor. Can I put long nails through the face of the new floor into the joints.

If I have to pull up the floor, what is the easiest way to do this without destroying the floor? I'm pretty sick about this--we don't have 5000 to blow and it looks like we did just that.

Reply to
steven

What is the problem? Nails pulling up?

I'd consider using screws rather than nails, but it is a time consuming process. Drill a 3/8" hole with a forstner bit, about 3/8" deep. Then drill a pilot hole into the joist. You'd need a minimum of 2" long screw, probably 2 1/2" would be better. Drive the screw, then put a plug in the countersunk hole, cut flush, sand, refinish. When done, it may actually enhance the appearance, unlike a nail head. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Now why would you do a silly thing like that?

Reply to
JimL

Steven,

HOW do you know you made a mistake? Is it tongue and groove hardwood? The T&G is there to help with the wood expansion without the joints buckling. Is there a gap at the walls for expansion? If it is in a bathroom or kitchen, where there will be lots of moisture on the floor, yes you did make a mistake. That might be tempered with quite a few coats of poly or marine varnish.

I have OSB subflooring with no degradation to the hardwood flooring on top of it. As long as there is not a lot of moisture coming from below the particle board it should be ok. Relax, enjoy your new floor.

Joe

Reply to
Nobull4u