Hardwood floors

Should you install the first floor hardwood going all in the same direction? Hallway, Livingroom, Kitchen and Familyroom.
nancyagor wrote:

Not necessarily, rather depends upon the relationship of one room to another.
Generally, it is laid with the length of a particular room but if, for example, a dining room is not a true separate space but merely defined by half walls - or if the opening is large - and laying the long way would result in the boards being perpendicular to those in the LR it would probably look best if the DR were treated as an extension of the LR floor.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Come to my house.
For dinner?

You can come by my house and see it not layed perpendicular to the joists. In fact, I have no joists! Glued down to concrete. Cheers, cc
You "glued" hardwood flooring to concrete? No sleepers, vapor barrier?
How long has it been there?

Can be done with engineered wood above grade.
As RayV said, I'd think you'd pretty much have to lay them perpendicular to the joists. Running parallel would eventually cause serious cupping between the boards. You're not talking about laminate flooring, are you? If that were the case, then you would want to lay them so they run away from the windows. Laying perpendicular with the light source will cause the seams to show.

What are you people using for subflooring? Cereal boxes?
On Wed, 24 May 2006 21:40:15 -0500, "nancyagor"

Depends how much time you have, and whether the doorways have sills.
nospam snipped-for-privacy@homerepairlive.com says...

Generally the way it looks best. I did mine last year (bamboo, actually) so the foyer is parallel to the joists and the rest is perpendicular. Generally, I think it looks better to have the boards running with the eye rather than across. Running the bamboo crosswise across the foryer and entry hall made the downstairs look cut up and small. The change of direction where the entry mall meets the main hall doesn't look bad at all.
--
Keith