Hardwood floors

Should you install the first floor hardwood going all in the same direction? Hallway, Livingroom, Kitchen and Familyroom.

Reply to
nancyagor

Not necessarily, rather depends upon the relationship of one room to another.

Generally, it is laid with the length of a particular room but if, for example, a dining room is not a true separate space but merely defined by half walls - or if the opening is large - and laying the long way would result in the boards being perpendicular to those in the LR it would probably look best if the DR were treated as an extension of the LR floor.

Reply to
dadiOH

I've never heard of or seen it installed any way other than perpindicular to the floor joists.

Reply to
RayV

As RayV said, I'd think you'd pretty much have to lay them perpendicular to the joists. Running parallel would eventually cause serious cupping between the boards. You're not talking about laminate flooring, are you? If that were the case, then you would want to lay them so they run away from the windows. Laying perpendicular with the light source will cause the seams to show.

Reply to
trbo20

Depends how much time you have, and whether the doorways have sills.

Reply to
Goedjn

What are you people using for subflooring? Cereal boxes?

Reply to
Goedjn

Generally the way it looks best. I did mine last year (bamboo, actually) so the foyer is parallel to the joists and the rest is perpendicular. Generally, I think it looks better to have the boards running with the eye rather than across. Running the bamboo crosswise across the foryer and entry hall made the downstairs look cut up and small. The change of direction where the entry mall meets the main hall doesn't look bad at all.

Reply to
Keith Williams

Come to my house.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You can come by my house and see it not layed perpendicular to the joists. In fact, I have no joists! Glued down to concrete. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

You "glued" hardwood flooring to concrete? No sleepers, vapor barrier?

How long has it been there?

Reply to
RayV

Can be done with engineered wood above grade.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski