hardwood floor underlayment

I want to lay 3" X 3/4" T&G cherry in a room 12' X 24' . The joists run parallel to the 24' walls. There is a fir T&G subfloor that runs perpendicular to the joists. The cherry planks would run parallel to the joists; perp to the subfloor planks. When running hardwood parallel to the joists, Don Bollinger recommends an underlayment of 1-1/8" plywood underlayment. With the finished floor, that would mean a 1-7/8" bump at the doorways to the other rooms. Thick! He doesn't mention if that underlayment includes the subfloor width or not. What's your opinion? Thanks very much for any advice, tips, references or comments

Reply to
Dean

I think he means that you need a half inch more than a spec houes install of three quarters, Its really a quetion of do you want to do it parralel its technically Incorrect, ie: you should run Across the Joist

Reply to
jae.young

Forgot to say how thick your fir T&G subfloor that runs perpendicular to the joists, is.. Who is Don Bollinger? Mfg'er?

Anyway a 'total' of an 1-1/8" of subfloor (incl. underlayment) is more than enough. Given the joists aren't overspaced..

Reply to
Liam McConn

You're obviously drunk. Get help.

Reply to
Liam McConn

I' ve read his books and met him in person, he makes filler, like i said I have more experience than one really requires ken moersch the extremely talented and Versatile Hardwood floorlayer sander finisher game lines stairs and more , Did i say certified in B.C.

Reply to
jae.young