Hardwood Floor, Subfloor

I have a 15x15 room that needs new hardwoood flooring. The old flooring is removed and the subfloor is 1x4s. They are 60 years old and shrunk a bit but generally in good shape. (I will have to replace one or two that were destroyed when the oak floor was removed.
My question, should I attach each subfloor board at each joist? I know with plywood it's a good idea to install extra fasteners to make sure it's stable, but what about plank subfloors?
Thanks, Bernie

Bernie,yes u do nail or screw your subfloor boards at each joist. Because your housei s that old the 1x4 may be a full 1" thick, so there would be no reason to put any other blocking in inless u feel that its needed. Bob
Bob,
Simple enought to use a framing nailer and put a nail in each one?
Bernie

Bernie,I would screw the subfloor down,that way would dont have to worry about the subfloor making any noise later.I just dont like useing nails on a floor they tend to back out. Bob
<snip>

Ordinary nails might back out, but consider using ring shank nails with a nail gun. One compelling reason is that older houses often have rather hard joists and in my experience a fair number of screws tend to break off with a fast impact driver, and using a drill/driver is slow and tedious. Make the best choice to suit your situation. Good luck.
Joe
Well Gentlemen,
You have been way to helpfull, so I will have to take advantage of you, hahahaha.
As long as we are talking fasteners, I'm using a 16g nailer for the face nailing. How long of nails do I need? Normal logic says; 3/4" material, then 3xs that for fastener length. But in this case, the sub floor is only 1" at best. How long do you recommond.
Also, I have a narrow crown stapler also available. I wasn't planning on using it because of the larger hole to fill. Which do you recommend.
Thanks for all your help!
Bernie