Hardwood floor repair

Hello,
Does anyone know an non-obtrusive way to repair a small puncture hole in a hardwood floor. I'm not sure what made the hole, but I believe it's one of the kids toys.
I don't know that many details about the hardwood floor, other than it's real wood (maybe pine?), has a light, nature colour and has a clear waxy coating.
Would woodfiller work; perhaps tinted beige? My concern about woodfiller is that it may dissolve when the floor is washed.
I have googled this topic but I found sites mainly talking about removing floor boards, matching the stain, etc. This seems a little overkill for my situation.
Any advice, tips or links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
--
Chris

Oak is one of the most popular woods for floors. Pine has not been used much since Colonial days. Wood filler will work and no, it will not dissolve. Put some sealer on top of it. Polyurethane would work well, for a very small spot, even clear nail polish.

Stickly an amatuer but I figured since I got advice I'd make a suggestion. I'm sure others will give better advice.
http://www.vandykes.com/product/02001699 /
I've used wood fillers that will dry much harder than wood and this one says you can mix it with stain. I've never used this particular product but there are plenty of epoxy type wood fillers on the market.
If this is off track *sorry*
Jim

Is it a whole or a dent ? If it is a dent wood filler is your best bet, matching the stain will most likely be the hard part. You might try to find some small tubes of tint ( about the size of artist acrylics) With a little trial and error you should come with a decent match, Now if it is a dent, not to big a damp rag and a Iron might swell it up. The idea is water will swell wood the Iron will add heat to increase the swelling. A lot of your repair depends on the size of whole or dent your talking about.
Chris wrote:

Thank you all for your advice and tips. The hole is smaller than a dime (CDN), however, it's more like a puncture than a dent.
I think I will get some wood filler and try it on a spot in the corner, somewhere not easily seen.
Again, thank you.
--
Chris