Hardwood Floor problem

I had a new hardwood floor installed in the kitchen and laundry room and one of my cats over-extended herself from the litter box and urinated onto the floor. I saw it soon after and wiped it up with vinegar but it has badly stained the wood which has three coats of polyurethane. I was surprised but the installer said the urethane wouldn't help in this case. Is he right? Pat

Reply to
Patscga

He is if the urine went into a crack and penetrated the wood from there.

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

I'm not sure I understand. The floor is just 3 weeks old and the stain is about 2 ft. x 3 ft. Pat

Reply to
Patscga

Where did anyone say 2 ft. x 3 ft? Are we reading the same post?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It looks like Pat added that, although the post did not appear on my news server.

Reply to
Alan

It's very dark. Pat

Reply to
Patscga

Thank you for responding. I'm going to continue to try to find out if he was telling me the whole truth.

Pat

Reply to
Patscga

Floors are made up of boards. The surface is protected by the finish coat but the joint between the boards is not. Well, it *may* be, temporarily, but the finish over those joints will inevitably crack. The urine will run into that crack and from there can soak into the wood sideways thus causing your black stain. In that case, your installer is correct...the surface finish couldn't have prevented the staining.

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Sounds like it got thru the poly and ruined the wood. Was it water based poly? Maybe it wasn't fully cured yet.

Reply to
Art