hardwood floor problem

2 months ago i had my hardwood floors refinished. At first I was exceptionally pleased. Now after discovering several problems I noticed thatthe guy did a brutally shitty job.

The major problem now is that the guy filled some gaps with some kind of wood filler and now the wood filler is cracking and coming up. The floors are a satin finish.

I can call the guy up, but I think it's going to be a hassle. What can I do to correct the problem. I know I can buy wood filler myself but it will look like shit. I'll have to then apply some kind of varnish over them and I think it won't match the other varnish.

Is there a product that anyone can recommend to fix these gaps. It really is starting to come up everywhere and refinishing the floors again is out of the question because it's winter and I have no place at all to store my furniture.

So what can I do?

Reply to
Doobielicious

'I can call the guy up, but I think it's going to be a hassle.'

Hmmmmm.

Define 'Hassle'. You aren't telling us something.

Reply to
Matt

Well he seems to be a nice guy when he's sober, but who knows. I just think he isn't the best hardwood floor refinisher, but I had to go with him initially because time was a major factor.

Reply to
Doobielicious

How can the wood filler come up the finish sealed it in 3 coats minimum , right. Yes save your self the hassle of calling him , file in court because that is where this will end up.

Reply to
m Ransley

Do you live in a area that has higher humidity in winter than summer? It sounds like the filler is being squeezed out as the wood expands, but that's normally something that would happen if the wood was very dry and then the interior humidity took a big blip upwards (which is normally the exact opposite of what one usually sees in a Northern Hemisphere winter).

Reply to
Andy Hill

It was a cash job!!!

Reply to
Doobielicious

I live in Canada in Nova Scotia. Cold winters hot summers.

Reply to
Doobielicious

What does cash job have to do with it. Work was done, you paid, you are unhappy, the job failed. You have the same rights.

Reply to
m Ransley

It is always a wrong to guess, but I will anyway. It may be the floor has dried some more after the filler was put in and it is now loose and coming out.

It is a difficult thing. I can't help you to decide if the job was as good as it could have been or should have been on not. I suggest you may want to check with another local flooring person to see what they suggest and what they suggest to reduce the problem.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

....assuming they got a receipt or at least prove this person did the work.....again assuming that the worker denies he did it. But then this assumes....never mind.

jtees4

Why did he put in wood filler? How large is the area of flooring? Real wood? Licensed contractor? Written bid? Brother-in-law?

Reply to
Norminn