hardwood floor & Orange Glo mistake - big

I really did a dumb thing, I put Orange glo hardwood floor clean, protect and Polish on my hardwood floor (not wax finish but the other), I hate the look of it, shiny, footprints show, but haven't been able to remove with damp mopping. I called Orange glo, they said Trewax hardwood floor cleaner would remove, but it doesn't.

Have I ruined my floor? If there is a Hardwood floor God or Godess out there, please help me.

Orange glo dummy.

____________________________________ Posted via Homerepairlive.com

junklady2000

Call the company that makes it. Unless they're stupid, they do NOT want you to be pissed off at their product. They should be able to tell you how to remove it.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Doug, I did as you said and called Orange Glo, they said to use Trewax hardwood floor cleaner and it would remove, it didn,t, only added a little more shine to floor. They also didn't appear too worried about me or my dilema. I had no idea the product was permanent.

Thank you for responding. I appreciate any advice anyone has.

Orange glo dummy.

____________________________________ Posted via Homerepairlive.com

junklady2000

If there's an inconspicuous area you could experiment with (very small spot!), try ammonia. Diluted, at first. Just be careful of the fumes, and not to wipe right through the wax.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I looked at the website quickly, and didn't find Orange GLO for floors, only wood cleaner that says not to use on floors. Sounds like that horrible stuff that used to be for paneling.

Do you know what kind of finish is on the wood floor? Laminate or real wood? Mineral spirits might take off the greasy stuff, but I would test a spot and wipe it off right away. Mineral spirits are an ingredient in paste wax, so generally safe for wood finishes.

Reply to
Norminn

Norminn

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Okay, the floors are true hardwood with polyurathane finish, and the Orange glo is for hardwood floors. It is in a round, dark green bottle and says for hardwood floors, clean, protect and polish.

I tried a spot with rubbing alcohol, that seems to work, but am scared it might take a few days to show damage if any.

Please keep trying to help.

I thank each of you.

Orange glo dummy

____________________________________ Posted via Homerepairlive.com

junklady2000

When my floors were polyurethaned, we were told to clean them ONLY with Windex, diluted 1 cup per gallon of water, because it would not damage the finish. That sort of fits with my earlier ammonia recommendation, although you'd have to be MUCH more careful with ammonia. Try the Windex first - perhaps it'll but through the orange glo.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Rubbing alcohol has a little oil in it to keep your skin from drying out so it may not degrease the floor completely but it should do a good job. Isopropyl alcohol would be a purer form of the same thing. Denatured or Methyl alcohol should work just as well. Any damage will be immedietly apparent, it will not take days to develop, alcohol evaporates very quickly.

You can also use a product labeled as a wax floor stripper (not a paint stripper though)

Polyeurethane will not be bothered by either alcohol (don't use acetone though). If you have any worn spots where the wood shows shrough, it will absorb some alcohol and may or may not stain the wood. For poly floors, I just use soapy, non restoring cleaners.

The Trewax may have removed the orange glow but left its own sheen (which apparently is what you do not like).

Reply to
PipeDown

I would not use alcohol; it is likely at least to dull the finish. Mineral spirits have never softened a finish that I have used it on, and I use it to remove old built-up dirt and wax on good furniture. It is a bit greasy feeling at first, but evaporates. If you still have the bottle of orange glo, what are the indredients? Sounds like silicone.

If you try the m.s., just dampen a soft, clean cloth and wipe an area about 1' x 1' so you can see if there is any change. Wipe with dry cloth, ventillate until the odor/fumes gone.

Reply to
Norminn

wash it off with VM&P Naptha .. .. should be in ANY paint store and most BORGs .. .. may take several light washings and LOTS of rags or paper towels, but it will get rid of it .. .. when you're done with wiping material, BE SURE to lay it out flat on the ground so the solvent can evaporate .. .. wadded-up rags with ANY kind of solvent on them is definitely putting you at risk for a fire .. ..

junklady2000 wrote:

Reply to
Anonymous

Norminn and others,

No ingredients listed on bottle, but according to orange glo it is acrylic based.

Orange glo also recommended: Award series heavy duty cleaning by Mannington and: Brite and easy polish remover by Congolieum. I have not been able to find these locally will have to order I guess.

I think I may try the Mineral Spirits.

Also, one wood floor mfg. told me that they don't use poly finishes now, it is aluminum oxide.

This story just continues to grow doesn't it. I'm amazed at the availabilty of products that should not even be used and no cure if you do use them.

I will research before from now on.

Y'all have been great. Please don't quit on me now.

Orange glo dummy

85484

____________________________________ Posted via Homerepairlive.com

junklady2000

Bob,

Please tell me what VM&P Naptha is, and where to find it.

thanks

Orage glo

____________________________________ Posted via Homerepairlive.com

junklady2000

If I learned from all of my mistakes, I would be a genius :o)

Reply to
Norminn

(MY GRANDMOTHER'S TRICK) We had hardwood floors in the old house. When she accidentally dropped a skillet of melted lard/shortening on the floor, she mixed: scrambled egg whites and lemon juice together and applied to the area. After about 5/10 minutes -- problem solved. NOW I can tell you that on antique wood pieces, to remove/pull out Oil, water spots, candle wax residue.... DEETHONIZED EITHER works great, and it doesn't hurt the finish.

Reply to
Old school county girl