hardwood floor finish not applied under DW or fridge

We just had our hardwood floors finished and while inspecting the work I noticed:
a)that the polyurethane stopped just in front of the dishwasher and the refrigerator. In other words, the two appliances are sitting over unsanded, bare wood (this is a new oak floor that replaces many layers of old vinyl).
b) two wood thresholds, bridging bathroom tile floors and hardwood hallways, have uncoated areas on the bathroom side, where they meet the flor.
Q: These are places likely to get pretty wet, and I think they should be fully coated, or am I being finicky?
c)unlike the floors, which have a smooth finish, the staircase threads are quite rough and appear to have received fewer finish coats.
Q: would this be on purpose, to make them less slippery? Many thanks.
                             _________________________ Message sent through http://www.BetterHomePortal.com

No, you are not being finicky. The entire floor, thresholds and stairs should be finished to the same color, sheen and smoothness. If this requires moving the kitchen appliances out of the way then that needs to be done.
If you had your rooms carpeted would you be satisfied if the new carpet went up to your furniture and stopped? I certainly hope you haven't paid for this job yet.

I agree with sealing the floor under the appliances. Ask the floorer ro come back and do those places as well. And have him put anopther coat on the stairs as well if you are not happy with them.
On 8/18/2010 7:01 AM, BobC wrote:

My question would be why were the appliances in there before the floor was done? You don't really expect the floor guys to "uninstall" a dishwasher do you? And where would they move the frige to? They are not equipped to move a frige.
--
Steve Barker

Both of those appliances basically just slide out. There may be a couple screws at the top of the dishwasher and the fridge probably has something behind the bottom grill to "lower" the front wheels. The floor guys will br familiar with both. You clearly don't know what you are talking about. It's common to install finished level floor under both of them because they are difficult to r&r if they are sittting below floor level. No doubt the floorer put them back to make it easier to finish the exposed floor. He didn't want to wait for the poly to dry so he didn't put any under them. He's trying to maximize the work he can do in a day and minimize the number of visits. His other option would have been to move the appliances completely off the new floor and that was probably a pain as well.

Any contractor doing floors does not like messing with plumbing, electrical, etc. It's not their business. The guys finishing the floor are getting paid fifteen or twenty an hour - maybe, and their experience is in finishing floors, not plumbing or moving appliances. They probably could move the appliances..and _almost_ without ever having a problem. If there is a problem, the downside is a lot steeper than the upside.

Shortcuts? Who made the decision to put appliances on an unfinished floor? THAT was the shortcut, and it backfired. Whoever installed the appliances ahead of time and out of the normal schedule, should have been called back to remove them, and then replace them after the floor is finished. If the owner created the problem and told them to do it, or allowed them to do it (inexperience), it's his nut.

Some of you guys are idiots. The op hired someone to replace some flooring with hardwood including the kitchen. That flooring contractor is not going to sub out moving two appliances. The flooring contrator is going to do it himself.

Interesting. I did not realize you were clairvoyant, oh mighty Swami! The OP posted once, never mentioned the contracting arrangement (hence my asking him in my first post what the situation was) and you have no more information than I do. Yet, you seem confident enough to start calling people idiots. Please.
A reasonably intelligent flooring contractor is not going to be stupid enough to remove the appliances, install the floor, then put the appliances back before they've finished the floor. I could come up with about five or six likely scenarios, but I have no real clue what happened. Again, that's why I asked.
Here's the deal - I don't need you telling me what you _know_ what happened as you don't have any more information than I do. Let's wait for the OP to reply. Sound fair?

Since you're asking these questions, I have a question for you - are you acting as your own general contractor and did you hire the floor finisher? If so, you didn't communicate properly and you relied on an assumption.
The floor should definitely be finished under the appliances, and the floor should be finished before the appliances are installed. If the floor is refinished, then there's usually no need to remove the appliances to refinish an area that has seen no wear.
As far as the stairs, they're harder to do smoothly than an open floor, but they shouldn't be rough, and, if anything, they should have more coats of finish rather than fewer. Did you count the coats or are you basing it on how it looks?

Why were appliances returned to the kitchen before the flooring was finished. They obviously had to be removed for the flooring to be installed. My guess is that the finisher had not planned on removing them prior to finishing the floor.
The "holidays" on the thresholds are inexcusable and need a return visit by the finisher.
The stair treads need to be smooth. If they're not satisfactory, the a return visit by the finisher is needed. They are not left rough for any reason I know of.
Nonny

be
are

by

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to reply to my posting. This forum is a great resource, especially for a (slightly wiser now) first-time renovator. Your input is very valuable in helping me decide how to proceed--- and I hope to post a positive follow-up sometime soon.
                             _________________________ Message sent through http://www.BetterHomePortal.com
BobC wrote:

I'll throw in on the stair treads- you don't want them glossy-smooth like a piano top. More of a satin finish is what to shoot for. Otherwise, anybody on those stair just wearing socks on their feet is at risk of falling on their ass. Kids and older folks especially. BTDT, etc.
--
aem sends...

work
the
the
should
threads
them
visit

any

This
first-time
aem, thanks for your opinion.                              _________________________ Message sent through http://www.BetterHomePortal.com

Have you already paid for the whole job, if not, make a phone call quickly, and be prepared to do without the appliances installed for a day while the urethane dries. If you already paid, about the best you are likely to get is a can of urethane and a brush and be told to do it yourself.