If I put down standard poly is there a non-toxic oil that could be
used to hide scratches? Or is there a non-toxic oil I could use on the
whole floor as an alternative to poly? I had a small section that I
refinished with BLO, but the darn dog licks the floor, and BLO is
linseed oil is edible. it's the driers that make it inedible.
Boiled linseed oil
Boiled linseed oil is used as a paint binder or as a wood finish on its
own. Heating the oil causes it to polymerize and oxidize, making it
thicker and shortening its drying time. Today, most products labeled as
"boiled linseed oil" are a combination of raw linseed oil,
petroleum-based solvent, and metallic dryers (catalysts to accelerate
drying). The use of metallic dryers makes boiled linseed oil inedible.
Some products contain only heat-treated linseed oil, without exposure to
oxygen. Heat-treated linseed oil is thicker and dries very slowly. This
grade of linseed oil is usually labeled as "polymerized" or "stand" oil,
though some types may still be labeled as "boiled".
Use poly and chase scratches with wiping poly. Actually our floor is
factory finished but our staircase was stained to match and finished
with three coats of poly. From what we see it will be some time
before we need to worry much about repair but wiping poly will be the
BLO is not durable enough for a long-term floor finish.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.