Hardwood floor -- cost effective alternatives to poly?

If I put down standard poly is there a non-toxic oil that could be used to hide scratches? Or is there a non-toxic oil I could use on the whole floor as an alternative to poly? I had a small section that I refinished with BLO, but the darn dog licks the floor, and BLO is toxic. Thanks.

Pick a finish here http://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com /
On 12/20/2011 2:00 PM, Davej wrote:

i can't imagine any of them are toxic once cured. <sigh> Perhaps the dog should be OUTSIDE.... hello?
--
Steve Barker
Davej wrote:

BLO or tung will make the scratch color similar to the unscratched but will do nothing to restore the sheen. Decent poly shouldn't scratch.

Not after it is dry.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

What is BLO?
On 12/21/2011 1:15 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

boiled linseed oil, which is non-toxic when fully polymerized
Hmm. Didn't know that about non toxic. I saw the aconym, and for a moment I thought it was BHO. silly me. BHO is a politician, not a painter.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Do they boil the oil, or do they boil the linseed seeds?
On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 13:47:30 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Neither, actually. It is a term used when they add driers and/or other chemicals.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Or when the oil is boiled (heated).
--

dadiOH
On 12/22/2011 3:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

linseed oil is edible. it's the driers that make it inedible.
from wikipedia:
Boiled linseed oil
Boiled linseed oil is used as a paint binder or as a wood finish on its own. Heating the oil causes it to polymerize and oxidize, making it thicker and shortening its drying time. Today, most products labeled as "boiled linseed oil" are a combination of raw linseed oil, petroleum-based solvent, and metallic dryers (catalysts to accelerate drying). The use of metallic dryers makes boiled linseed oil inedible. Some products contain only heat-treated linseed oil, without exposure to oxygen. Heat-treated linseed oil is thicker and dries very slowly. This grade of linseed oil is usually labeled as "polymerized" or "stand" oil, though some types may still be labeled as "boiled".

Use poly and chase scratches with wiping poly. Actually our floor is factory finished but our staircase was stained to match and finished with three coats of poly. From what we see it will be some time before we need to worry much about repair but wiping poly will be the solution.
BLO is not durable enough for a long-term floor finish.
RonB