Hardwood borders: Field or border first?

I'm creating a custom border on a 3/4" hardwood floor. Do I lay the field first, or start with the border and add field and adjacent borders as I go?
JASNYC wrote:

there is really no right or wrong way. it'll depend on the design of the border and the level of woodworking skill of the installer. also on the level of perfection required. probably i would recommend running the border first, then butting the flooring to it. but if you are a skilled carpenter/woodworker, you could lay the field and router or cut the border in after. this done right would give you a perfect fit. but it would depend on the design of the border. if it was too close to the wall to fit a router or saw into the inside corners, it wouldn't work. .
JASNYC wrote:

I have no idea which is the "right" way but I'd do field then borders...lots easier to fit exterior stuff to interior compared to vice versa.
--

dadiOH