Hardiplank siding installation

Is it a good idea to install furring strips under the siding for better ventilation ? I had some conflicting opinions on this. The home is in Northwest and we get lot of rain here. I already decided to use tar paper instead of Tyvek home wrap and gave up on the extra foam insulation on exterior walls to make the home more breathable.

thanks Luke

Reply to
LM

Hardiplank siding does not have the same properties as wood. It does not absorb and disperse moisture the way that wood does, so the furring strips are not necessary. I will install hardiplank directly onto the framing or substrate. I will not do this with wood siding. The "rainguard" technique (furring strips to provide an airspace) is the only good way to make wood siding last. Hardiplank doesn't need it. It won't hurt to have it, but it is not required.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Mr. Allison is IMHO correct. Even though it is not needed, I would consider furring strips. Given the rainy climate, everything one can do to allow the material is a benefit. Check out the Building Science Corporation web site. TB

Reply to
tbasc

does recommend furring strips behind cement siding products like Hardi Plank in some climates. Their recommendations are CLIMATE specific.

Reply to
Robert Gammon