Hardipanel for shed siding

We are planning construction of a garden shed to store garden tractor, yard tools, and "stuff" (and regain use of my garage shop). We are considering Smart Siding, Hardi Panel and T-11 (T1-11). Like the looks of T-11 but have been unable to find pressure treated siding used on some factory built buildings.

The Hardi panel looks good but their installation instructions required a moisture barrier. This is a utility building and the siding will also serve as sheeting. No interior finish. Will the cement fiber panel hold up to long term use without sheeting and moisture barrier? I have used a product similar to Smart and the building looks good after 25 years but there is concern with Hardi.

Any Experience?

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Just my opinions with no basis in fact.

The moisture barrier would be required over a wooden substrate or heated interior. You have neither.

No interior wall finish is only a problem when one considers bumps and breakage potential.

I might cover the studs with 15# felt or plastics as I believe the cement based product might conduct some moisture during the rainy season and at ground level

They have a contact form on their site. May I be so bold as to suggest you ask them.

Reply to
Colbyt