Hardibacker/Drywall Taping

I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel and have to tape the joints of the drywall and hardibacker. My question is what to use when the hardibacker meets the drywall, tape and spackle or mesh and thinset? Also, do you use the metal 90's to brace the corner edges like you would w/drywall, or do you just tape and set them at about a 90 degree angle. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
John Sheehy

I'm no pro at this. I used durobond 90 to bed the tape and regular mud to topcoat and finish. My joint was well past the wet area of the shower and I wanted a smooth wall finish. Around the top of the shower area I have always done it the same way. I used the durobond and mesh in the wet areas.

I have never finished an outside corner that was formed with hardie-backer. My opinion is that you would have a smoother wall for you tile application if you just cut the edges as straight as possible and filled any gaps with durobond or thinset if it is recommended for that purpose. I did not think it was. My reasoning on that is based on the fact that you never carry the drywall bead to floor if you want your baseboard to fit properly.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Mesh and tile thinset hardie to hardie. Mesh or tape, drywall mud hardie to wallboard.

Rich

Reply to
evodawg