Hard Wood Floor Question

My 2 year old son and his toys have created all kinds of superficial scratches in my hardwood floor. No gouges, just a lot of scratches when seen from a certain angle.
It's been about 5 years (possibly more) since the wood was last sanded or protected with eurothane or anything.
Is it better to sand & seal the floor now, or wait a few years until his slamming toys on the floor phase is over?
How much does a fresh coat of eutothane protect the wood from 2 year olds and their toys?
Thanks
Bill wrote:

sand paper and put the same poly on it. gloss or semi gloss. scratches will always happen. i have gouges from dogs. adds character. also fine out if it was water or solvent poly used first. solvent gives a amber color to wood, water does not.