hard wired smoke detector

I have a hardwired smoke detector that came with my house. When doing some home projects (and some cooking) the detector goes off and there doesn't seem to be any way to turn it off. It just buzzes until the air slowly clears. My other detectors are battery operated and I just remove the battery.. Any suggestions on the wired detector short of turning off the power? I am thinking about turning off the power, cutting the wire and replacing unit with a battery model. Any alternative suggestions? Maybe installing an on-off switch (attach to which colored wire?) on the power line leading to the unit? --------- paul
What brand and model is the smoke detector? You may be able to go to the company website and find a different detector of the same brand that is compatible with your system, but which has a silence button feature on it. Then just buy the replacement and switch it out with the one you have now.
Paul Oman wrote:

The idea, is to not be able to permanently disable the thing. There are hard wired models made that have a "Hush" button on them. If it is set off by cooking, etc. you push the hush button and it will shut off for some predetermined period of time and then reset.

yup, this. Also photos tend to get *more* sensitive as they age, as dust buildup etc. decreases their alarm threshold. Simply replacing the detector may solve your issue. (you didn't specify if it was a photo or ion type detector)
nate

*Replace it with a photoelectric type as they are less prone to nuisance alarms from cooking. Disabling is not a good idea.

Don't do that.
Besides what they said, wave a hand fan or a newspaper vigorously and blow fresh air into the smoke detector. I think that should be quite a bit faster than the current plan.

I had the same issue here, but my SO wouldn't let me change anything. She uses it as a kitchen timer.