Hard water in condo

I just moved into new condo in Chicago and was amazed at the hardness of the water. I have lived in Chicago for 6 years now and this water is terribly worse. Not sure why that is.
Regardless, I have found the calcium is quite high which I read is the cause of hard water. Does anyone know of a good shower filter that removes calcium?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You can't filter it, it is in solution.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

So is there any solution at all?
This Chicago water is harder than my parents' water and they have a well. Also, it's harder than other Chicago water I have had (wierd but true).
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Sure - standard water softener. They replace the calcium ions with sodium ions from salt so you wind up with water with sodium carbonate. _________________

Been a long time since I was around Chicago but I don't recall the water being particularly hard. I find it strange that city water in your new location differs from that in your previous one...one would think that all city water is the same. When you say the water is "hard" what - precisely - do you mean? What is it like?
If you have to get a softener it would be far preferable to get your condo board of directors to install a central one so that all units receive the softened water.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

So sounds like I have to push for a water softener for building. Water hardness is much harder in this condo than a couple apts I used to live in 1 mile north. Very weird. Did a water analysis and calcuim was high and from what I read calcuim is the cause of hardness.
Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it.
dadiOH wrote:

d they have a

Hard water = water that make it difficult to move hand on arm while in shower while wet. It also dries out skin.

Filters don't work on calcium. You need a softener. Any reputable water treatment company can help you with the right system for you. They will test the water and make recommendations.
I don't know about Chicago, but in our town there are a couple of sources of water. Depending on where you live, it is either very good or very nasty.

Doesn't drinking in water in Chicago come from way out in Lake Michigan? There are 2 or 3 pumping stations, maybe more by now, that one can barely see from the shore. So the water does come from different places, but they are all in the lake, and Chicago is about 30 or 40** miles from top to bottom. I wouldn't think that is enough to make much difference in the water.
**I don't know where suburbs get their water.

I know at least some comes from Lake Michigan. In my small town, we have two sources, wells and a lake with lots of green stuff in it In the heat of summer, it is like taking a shower in an aquarium. . Where I work, we have three sources just in our building, and quite different analysis. One is a very good well, the other is a crappy well, the third is from some other city location. (yes, it is a very large and old building)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

In the city proper, there are different sources. If you are in the boonies, you might have well water. Here's a link to Chitown water quality:
http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webportal/COCWebPortal/COC_ATTACH/May1005.pdf