Hard to turn shower faucet controls

On my Mixet shower faucet, the plastic temperature control handle and the plastic volume control knob have become difficult to turn.
How can I remove dirt and mineral deposits and apply a lubricant to the valve stem so the controls are easier to turn? What products should I use and how do I apply them?