hard to clean Plastic Shower Floors

I have a 10 year old house, with 2 showers, and I'm having a hard time cleaning the plastic floors. It's some sort of space age plastic, that stains easily.

I think I've tried almost everything, including a little bleach. Any ideas?

I do have some toilet cleaner that has acid [The Works], but I'm afraid to try this stuff.

thank, marc

[i posted this over in alt.home.cleaning, but i didn't realize that group had such little use]
Reply to
marco

had such little use]

Bleach and some scouring power will probably work, but the floors of the shower will restain again quickly if you don't take some permanent action to resurface it.I would go to a local hardware store - not a big box - and see what they have in the paint dept in the nature of epoxy floors. Is the floor COMPLETELY rigid, so you could tile it?

Reply to
hrhofmann

thanks, i will try the scouring bleach

i don't mind it getting stained again, if i just know how to clean it

the floor is like on of those low Tubs, so tile is out

painting doesn't sound like a good option to me

marc

Reply to
marco

Abrasive will remove plastic. It's probably a gel coat and if too much is removed and you get down to the composite, it will probably stain even worse. You need to talk to the manufacturer or someone that sells a kit for this job.

Reply to
Frank

Epoxy like used on garage floors??? ww

Reply to
WW

com...

clean with soap scum remover

Reply to
bob haller

Cover it with a mat. They sell shower floor mats.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

such little use]

I've had good luck with the Rust-X stuff, basically oxalic acid crystals. But if the surface glaze is gone, it will stain again quickly. You can either clear-coat it, or try to keep a good coat of auto wax on it. (learned that trick years ago living in cheap apartments with plastic shower stalls.) If you have the pebble-texture finish on floor, it won't be too slippery, but you should probably be the first user to test it, and maybe use a tub mat if it feels dangerous.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

such little use]

Auto wax does wonders for fiberglass tubs, too. It's a great way to spiff them up before a home sale.

Reply to
krw

In a previous house we had a shower base made out of plastic. Forgot the tradename - something stone. Glaze wore off after a couple of years and made it impossible to clean. Ended up having a tub repair guy do an acrylic refinish. That looked great again for a few years, but was starting to wear when we sold the house.

Reply to
Robert Neville

I think that's the easiest after an initial cleaning, non-skid and probably looks pretty goo too.

Reply to
hrhofmann

thanks for all the good ideas to try

it just occured to me it might be Fiberglass, not plastic [they look similar] it has a bumpy stone feel to it

and a Mat is a good idea [i have a mat in the bathtub] my bathtub is metal

marc

Reply to
marco

If the drain is in the middle of the shower floor (like mine) you would need to cut a hole in the mat or mop up a flood ;)

Comet spray gel (the kind with bleach) gets rid of the red mold that forms under the faucets and the black mold that loves it under the wall lip where it joins the floor pan. Apply to a dry surface (it sticks better) and let it stand overnight. But its not cheap and the dirt and soap scum where you stand needs scrubbed anyway so just mix your own solution as a gallon of bleach is cheap and goes along way (one part bleach to three parts water in a used spray bottle). After the solution drys the next day I use a toilet brush (its easier on the back and does a better job) on the wall lip and a regular handled scrub brush for the floor pan. Get naked, pull the curtain/door, scrub and rinse everything with a small pail.

John

Reply to
John

Sounds like this expensive Comet spray gel doesn't do any better than just bleach. I used to get a Zep ? mold remover from Home Despot, but it never did a great job. So one day I said the hell with it and just used plain bleach, which worked great.

HB.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

My wife uses The Works, not the green crap the regular toilet stuff. A couple of years ago, our pool had a nasty stain along the walls and bottom. Tried about everything on it and nothing even touched it. Wife brought out a spray bottle of the works and it melted it off with ease.

I went to every damned store around, and all they had was the green crap. Finally, I looked it up on the internet and ACE hardware had it. I called them, and bought every bottle they had, which was in the back room, they didn't have any sitting out? Anywho, it doesn't hurt our plastic shower at all, so give it a shot.

Reply to
Jack Stein

i may still try The Works, as a last resort.

in Las Vegas, they have "The Works" at one of the one Dollar stores

marc

Reply to
marco