hard starting engines

FYI I have been reading all the post on hard starting engines. I had a old Toro snowpup blower that was hard to start . Solved it real easy with a small 3/16 hole drilled in the shroud near the intake of the carb I gave it a shot of starter fluid (ether )available at auto parts store and it started like a dream with out pulling out my guts out. Do not over use it It only takes a little and is very flammable

I just made a similar comment on another thread. I use spray type carburetor cleaner - available everywhere including WalMart auto section. I buy three for four cans at a time at COSTCO.