Harbor Freight vs. Home depot

Page 4 of 4

I have a Makita angle grinder..its about 15 years old and has given great service over the years under tough conditions. You can buy them new for about $ 50-60 I was visiting the inlaws in FL after the hurricanes about 8 yrs ago, Needed to do some aluminum repair so we bought a similar angle grinder from HFT..on sale for under $ 20. It got so HOT while running that after about 5 minutes that it couldnt be held in the ungloved hand and made twice the noise of the Makita. I wouldn't have expected it to last more than a year or so, if that.
If I needed a certain power tool to do one job (then probably never or rarely use it again) I'd get one from HFT. If I planned to use it regularly over the years, I'd get a "name brand". My 10 year old DeWalt 12V VSR drill will drive 3" screws..problem is, I'm on my THIRD set of rechargeable batteries for it...Drill won't DIE..the batteries do.
I see Hitachi 18V impact drivers on sale here and there. They're great for driving screws but the "drill" model is more versatile IMO. If I had some time to "look around", I'd consider SEARS Craftsman 18V VSR drill..IF.. I could find it on sale. They re often on sale for "40% off ! ..maybe $ 69- 79.00. I had a couple over the years that worked quite well. Make sure you get the TWO speed 0-450/ 0 - 1400 or 1800 RPM (The single speed are hopelessly slow) with the bigger One hour charger (not the cheapie little charger they sell with some)