Harbor Freight Tools

Page 1 of 3

Are Harbour Freight Tools ok to buy or are they JUNK ? I see the Multi Tool That is advertised on tv for around $120.00 at Harbor freight for $39.99
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

The one you saw on TV was probably 3 easy payments of $120 each, for a total of $360.
The HF one is not quite as nice, but it does all the same jobs. I'be been abusing mine for quite some time, and it's still working perfectly.
Does your priest know about this abuse?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yes, and Yes-- but sometimes junk is good enough.

I finally bit on one of them when I got a coupon for it for $35. My first impression is favorable. It is a cool little tool. I hope the Fein is better balanced and feels nicer in the hand--- but for the amount of time I'll be using this one, no problem.
A couple folks on this group have been using them for a few months. Their success stories encouraged me to try one out.
Jim
desgnr wrote:

Yes and no. Some of the stuff they carry is crap, some is cheap but useable for light stuff and some is quite good. From what I've read, the multi tool leans towards the quite good category.
DA had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Harbor-Freight-Tools-412577-.htm : desgnr wrote:

If the tool (are you talking about the oscillating multi-tool, BTW?) is going to sit in your toolbox most of its lifetime, you would not know the difference. If you are making your living with the tool (or any other tool for that matter), I would pick something other than HF. But, again, I have a lot of hand, electric as well as pneumatic tools bought in Harbor Freight and they just fine for occasional use. In fact, the low price may give you an advantage of having more specialized tools that are better for the job than what you could have done with more expensive general tools from other (better?) vendors.
------------------------------------- \//.
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 21:59:12 +0000, info_at_1-script_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (DA) wrote:

One advantage of cheap tools is that when and if it fails, by that time you should know if you used it and how. You should be able to decide whether to buy another cheap one, an expensive one, or none at all.
This is even more true with things you find in the trash.
MM, who yesterday used his HF knock-off of a Dremel for the first time in the two years he's had it. Just to enlarge the metal door latch hole in my door frame. It worked fine. I guess otherwise I would have had to take the metal off and use a file. Or my own knockoff made from an old sewing machine motor and a 69 cent flexible shaft (bought 30 years ago when 69 cents was real money.)
Best to ask around first ;-)
It all just depends on the tool -- and the intended use.
I buy HF tools for 3 reasons:
1) they are so cheap, that it's worth a try to see if it might come in handy sometime digital multimeter -- got 3 or so of them, no overload protection ;-) good for checking car batteries and tracking down wiring problems spring loaded punch -- yeah, it's handy halogen 300w bulbs -- failed too frequently hammers -- beats walking around looking for the lost ones slow speed grinder -- nope, piece of junk, plastic gears, they took it back chainsaw chain sharpener -- very tempting... about $30 and I'd only need is 2-3 times a year. plastic welding tool -- either it was lousy, or I never got the hang of it - returned
2) probably won't use it much, it may last me as long as I need: 1/2" drill for mixing thinset -- used once thusfar, figure a couple more times needed angle grinder -- gets used about once a year punch set -- used it once so far pipedrain snake -- never used fishtape -- used couple times, got jambed in plastic case, discarded the case cut-off saw -- cut few batches of rebar tap and die sets -- have 3 of them, used about 5 times -- did their job wrench sets -- have 2 of them, lifetime replacement sockets -- have several sets, used a couple times a year
3) might actually be a real value: chain ratchet load binder digital caliper
That's not my entire list -- but I really hesitate to spend more then $50 on any one item. They have always been good with returns. I might buy something just to have more than a few minutes to look it over.
What we need is an rating forum for all HF tools.
kansascats wrote the following:

Yeah I, bought the same one. It appears that the attached air regulator didn't work as it blew the melted plastic all over the place. I bypassed the air regulator with the one that was attached to the compressor, but I never used it after that.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

CY: the little yellow ones were wonderful. The red ones, are also good. I like the ones iwth the off switch below the dial selector. No over load protection. My Fluke blows a $11 fuse if I hook it wrong, so I use the $2 Horrid Fright meter when ever I can. Save the Fluke for when I really need precision.

CY: Can't rmeember. I may have bought one of t hose.

CY: No gots.

CY: My fav is the waffle faced ripping hammer. Goes on sale for three bucks. Pounds nails, doesn't skip off the head and send em flying. I love em for stapling wire to the floor joists. Ripping configuration is also great for dissembling sheet metal when installing furnace.

CY: I agree, tempting.

CY: I had a Skil, and overloaded it, the gears stripped. Bougth the identical th ink from HF for about $12. I use it for light duty, now. Small holes, and spinning self tapping screws. Works for that.

CY: My angle grinder has served me well.

CY: Never tried mine.

CY: My Dad has a digital caliper, and really lvoes it.

CY: I got the three gal pancake compressor, and been very pleased with it. Noisy, but I only use it occasionally.

I bought a really great 10" rapid pull saw,15T/inch. It's labelled Portland Saw,item 94722,and was on sale. cuts on the pull stroke.
I also have a HF clone of the Bosch 1581 jigsaw,it works great,but I don't think they sell it anymore.
One thing to AVOID is those 99c countersinks;they are crap. the metal's too soft despite being marked "Lifetime Carbide",they are NOT carbide.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
desgnr wrote:

There are a lot of multi tools, what in the hell are you talking about?
Van Chocstraw wrote:

You know, the one with multiple uses.

This one?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID6&pricetype Jim

Yeah, I picked up a spring loaded punch (coupon discount). When I don't have three hands I can mark where the nail/screw needs to go - all without having three hands.
The only thing that might get weak is the spring itself, but I can replace that.

I've heard of the Multi Tool, tools you can use multiple times before discarding, and multiple use tools. Are you referring to a multiple use multiple purpose Multi Tool?
Sounds interesting.
Steve

it's a copy of the Fein Multimaster,an oscillating pad sander with all sorts of versatile sanding and saw attachments.Like a grout saw blade.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Ahhh. A few days ago, at WallyWorld, there was a row of TV screens. There was an ad but no sound for a wrench that had like a ball on both ends with different sized six sided holes, making that a MultiWrench. They were showing it being used on a bicycle. I'm going to check them out, as it would be a good tool to take in an ATV box for emergencies.
I still think my idea of a MultipleUseMultiPurposeMultiTool is a good one, though. Now watch some bastard rip me off.
Steve

I've been seeing those "dumbbell" wrenches around for years.I think they only had FOUR sizes on each end,because one axial side of each ball has the connecting bar,and the other end is useless as a wrench.

there's already a Swiss Army Knife that is a "multitool",and there's also the Leatherman tool. :-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik