Harbor Freight Sewing Machine Any Good?

I am wonder whether anyone has use or bought the Harbor Freight single Needle Industrial sewing machine?
Your comment and opinion deeply appreciate.
I'm also wondering about this one... It seems like a STEAL at $245 compared to even a used Juki or other industrial machine.
Any comments?
-Dan

I own three industrial sewing machines, two domestics, and three specialty machines: they get used hard, and the best piece of advice I can give for sewing machines is that "You get what you pay for." A used ~ USED ~ Brother B550 straight stitch machine won't sell for less that $1000 unless it needs repairs. Juki's can be had for $800 or so.
Yeah, the $245 machine is a steal, but me personally? Is Harbor Freight going to service it if it breaks? Warrant it for repairs? I'm spoiled by my own dealer who knows me by name, asks after my family, and can rattle off the names, models and service history of each of my machines.
- Wm
--
William Morris
Tailor, Seamlyne reProductions

I've got a 1924 31-15 Singer that I've just worked to death. I also have a Brother machine that's seen similar use. I've worked with Juki and like them okay, but the Brother works a little smoother.
Take a look in your local yellow pages under "Sewing Machines." Odds are there's a dealer in your town that handles commercial machines, new and used. I tend to shop where there's service staff on site - if they have to send it out to be worked on, don't bother.
- Wm
--
William Morris
Tailor, Seamlyne reProductions
Simon wrote:

Consider that a sewing machine is a complicated precision machine, compared to a clamp.
I would highly recommend that you ask at news:alt.sewing and/or news:rec.crafts.textiles.sewing for where to find a good industrial machine. They are nice people there, and they also have a FAQ on what to look for when you buy a sewing machine.
--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I bought their 18-gauge brads nailer for $19 it serves my need as an occasional monthly user. It may cost more than $100 for another made. So why pay more than what you need to pay? I bought their clamps, DC welder, floor drill and many others, cheap and good tools. Their set of 6 hole saws cost only $2 in a plastic box. You can't even buy the box for $4 here!
Did you know during and after Mao's time, the Chinese survive the long hash winters with only thickest plain cotton clothing and the barest essential? Therefore, their machines/tools maybe crude and un-refine, but they will last. I am only wondering if this sewing machine will be like their brads nailer.

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 11:40:14 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

Yes, HF sells a lot of poorly made products. They also sell some fairly decent stuff. The trick is learning to differentiate the two!:~)

Yeah, that's why I ask for advice here. I am a fairly selective buyer and have been cheated far too often, including Sears. Thanks for your advice.
Do they have a retail store anywhere near you? It helps if you can look at the item first. So far I've been lucky that all the stuff I buy there has been good, but then again, anything I buy from them is for infrequent use. If you are going to use it a lot, look elsewhere.
scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (Childfree Scott) wrote in

I've bought a lot of stuff from HF and while I wouldn't build a house with what they sell, it's good for occasional use. I figure if I use the tool enough to wear it out or break it, I use it enough to buy a better brand as a replacement. I've found some of their tools are available in discount/overstock stores under different brand names. Probably use the same importer and put on their own brand name--Chicago Tool is same as Shop Source, etc. HF gives their phone number as a source of replacement parts, but I've never tried it; as far as service/repair, you're on your own.
Simon wrote:

a angle grinder for $17.00 works great to get a comparable machine it would have cost me about $100 for a name brand.. a $7.00 rotorary tool with 60 bits( the electric tool is no good, but the 60 bits work in my dremel tool and the bits alone from Dremel would have cost me about $2.00 each(thats the only reason i bought the kit)... pretty good buy then, $29.00 video camera(bought two) to attach to a video camera for home security.... the only set up i saw was for about $150 but did not get it as i did not need a seperate monitor from some unk. brand....... that was a good buy.. the hole saw blades for $2.00 which would have cost about $20.00 at home depot if they had them...and a bunch of other stuff too numerous to mention.... you just have to be selective when buying their stuff and hope for the best.. if i did not get the cheap stuff there i probably would never have gotten their stuff... i do remember there was a rechargabe electric razor(looked like a norelco, but it was $5.97 and i tried it on my face, but it did nothing.. tried the trimmer part on my arm hairs, it cut them off quickly, but what do you expect for $6.00
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome