Harbor Freight Pump??

Has anyone had any experience with the Central Machinery 1 HP shallow well pump that Harbor freight advertises as regularly $139.99 and sells for $99.99. They advertise it as having a 1" discharge, automatic pressure booster, set equipped with a 5 gal tank and stainless steel pump housing. I have a lake behind my house and was wondering if maybe this would work for supplying a garden hose. Rob Mills

PS, The ad read "pressure booster" but I suspect they meant pressure switch.

Reply to
Rob Mills

Not sure about the longevity of the pump, but in theory it will work. You have to remember that you WILL need a filter at the lake end! Central machinery is not the greatest and personally I wouldn't buy anything electric made under that name. I have bought many things from HF and found a few problems. I have never had any problems with the air tools though. I just seem to have a problem with electrical items from them. Tractor supply is where I get my pumps from. If I were doing what you are planning I would buy a trash pump and a filter. I would also use a much larger than garden hose. The first property that I looked at had a large stream on it, I had the same thoughts as you. Now, I have a 3 55gal poly drum set up for collecting rain runoff from my roof for watering my gardens. Who ever heard of having to pay for water?... I have lived on well water all my life, until now that is.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

i got a little gas powered water pump made by echo with a little 2 stroke engine.. that thing runs a garden hose great..and has lasted 10 years.i hang the intake down in a cistern..harbor freight is considered low quality,at least everything i got from them was. lucas

ds549

anything electric made under that name.>harbor freight is considered low quality

Reply to
Rob Mills

"Rob Mills" wrote in news:OB8bg.66212$IZ2.46330@dukeread07:

I just got a flyer saying that those meters are going for *$2.99* during a sidewalk sale June 2,3,4.

"Full" price is $9.99.

A air nailer/stapler going for $13.99,2gal compressor going for $49.99,touchup spraygun for $6.99,framing nailer for $59.99

Lots more good stuff,too!!

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I suspect they get their stuff in many cases from the same factories in China that make the fancy name brands.

Reply to
CJT

Andy comments:

I got their 1/4 hp pump for 39.95 and have used it for almost a year with no problems. It is very cheaply made, in a cheap housing, and needs an input filter....... Hence, I had to be very careful with it, but it has worked flawlessly. So, while I can't endorse it as

a high quality unit, it does what I needed, for the lowest price I could find, and has been doing it for a year.......

and that's my opinion of Central Machinery stuff.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
Andy

$49.99,touchup spraygun for $6.99,framing nailer for $59.99

Reply to
Rob Mills

Reply to
Rob Mills

It depends on relative utility rates and other costs, but don't be too surprised if you find that you can't pump water as cheaply as your water company can. A neighbor learned that with a gasoline powered pump and a well many years ago. Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

as your water company can.

Reply to
Rob Mills

yeah water is cheap, sewer costs a fortune:(

Reply to
hallerb

Good little meter. Refresh rate on it is a bit slow, but it's a lot better keeping a $3 meter in the emergency kit in the truck than a $350 Fluke meter.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Reply to
Rob Mills

"Rob Mills" wrote in news:gNpbg.67959$IZ2.56363@dukeread07:

You could use it to monitor home line voltage variations over time,see if you're subjected to "brownouts".

That is the model pictured in the flyer I have;model # 90899 $2.99 on Jun

2,3,4
Reply to
Jim Yanik

I got one a year ago to pump water to my shop from a spring. Works great for that! It is made to be a pressure booster for a exsisting water system but it fine stand alone.

Reply to
Jorge

My experience with HF power tools has so far been, well, for the most part, I got what I expected.

The 10" bench sander works fine for what I bought it for. I was making and selling some parts made from 1/4" x 1" aluminum flat stock. I was spending way too much time rounding the corners of the pieces by hand, so I figured I'd give the bench sander a try. It saved me a ton of time and paid for its elf very quickly.

On the other hand, I bought a variable speed hammer drill that I almost thr ew out the other day when I tried to use it as - ready for this? - a drill ! You see, I have a rather old Skil hammer drill that I really like. Last s ummer I needed a drill powerful enough to mix a number of 5 gallon bucket l oads of concrete resurfacer. I didn't want to destroy the Skil drill or my cordless DeWalt, so I bought a sacrificial HF drill for something like $30. It served it's purpose as a mixer, so I was happy. The problem with trying to use it as a drill is the design of the variable speed mechanism. You tu rn a little knob in the center of the trigger to adjust the speed, but all it does is adjust the drill to that single speed, meaning it won't go any f aster - or slower - than the set speed. There's is no "soft start". The dri ll is either off or running at the speed set by the knob. I was using a 2.5 " hole saw in some 1/4" plywood and needed true variable speed to do what I needed to do. After I completed the job with my cordless DeWalt, I almost threw the HF drill out. The only thing that stopped me was the realization that it still works as a mixer and I have other drills that I don't want to use as mixers, so I hung onto it for those "special occasions" where I won 't give a crap if it breaks.

The air powered brad nailer works fine. In fact, it works better than the e lectric Craftsman nailer I bought many years ago.

And of course, there's the variable speed Multi-Function tool which I love.

Good luck with the pump and tell your wife Happy Gardening!

Reply to
DerbyDad03