Harbor freight makes excellent tools.

Doing laundry today i somehow washed and dried a harbor freight free flashlight, one of those free ones.,

i found it working well putting out a nice brite light in the dryer,

i had done many loads today, so i doubt it was on the entire time. proably got turned on tumbling in the dryer,

this flashlight was one of thoe alunimum tube ones.

i ws amazed it survived the laundry

Reply to
bob haller

Would be more amusing if it had been in the *washer* -- a front loader so you could watch the light as it bounced around in the wash! :>

Not much that can break, there. LED's don't care about the sorts of temperatures you'd find in a dryer -- nor the mechanical abuse. Switch is actually recessed *in* the back of the flashlight so it's not subject to much abuse (though the rubber cover might age quicker).

Biggest concern would be the batteries -- leaking prematurely, etc.

[Or, any enamel paint coating on the inside of the dryer drum -- if you've that sort of dryer -- getting chipped from the contact with the metal flashlight case]
Reply to
Don Y

well it did go thrua front loader, i did wonder about some occasional noise, but was busy with other things

Reply to
bob haller

I do two things to those short lights:

1) Grease the tail cap threads. 2) Put the battery pack in backwards when the unit isn't going to be used for a while. 3) Get a lot of them and give em away for Christmas. 4) Write about it on Usenet.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

5) Shine it on a book that will teach a person how to count.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

There are 10 kinds of people, those who know binary and those who don't.

Reply to
IGot2P

What about the other 1000?

Reply to
Leisure Suit Larry

?.|???????|.?

Reply to
bob_villain

They do have a rubber o ring seal on the battery box. I don't believe Harbor Freight makes any of their own gear.

Reply to
Steve Stone

Actually they sell tools, I doubt they manufacture them.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

+1

Some of their stuff is fine, works great and is a great deal. Like ratchet extensions or a breaker bar. Some other stuff is cheap junk. Example of that is a set of snap ring pliers I bought. Instead of hardened steel, the tips were made of metal so soft, they just bent trying to open the first snap ring. Bought one of their cheap VOMs. It worked fine for about a year, then started reading 150V, instead of 120V.

Reply to
trader_4

I got one of those VOM's and it just died after about 4 uses. I have a quality VOM that still works fine after about 40 years. I just bought this cheap VOM for auto use, because I hate getting my quality VOM covered with grease and dirt outdoors. I have since bought a $15 VOM at Walmart and it's been working fine for 2 or 3 years now.

The ONLY tool I bought at HF that has not yet broken is a trailer ball wrench. It fits both size ball nuts. Basically a big box wrench. Aside from that, nothing has been worth buying from them. I wont even go into their stores anymore.

Reply to
Paintedcow

I bet you work for HF !!!

Reply to
Paintedcow

I got one of hte 'free' VOMs to see how well it would work. Only had it a couple of months. I did compair it to my Fluke and it seems to be good enough for general work. It will be interisting to see how long it lasts. It does have one adjustment in it so the first person may need to adjust it.

I have ordered a lot of inexpensive electronic stuff direct from China off ebay. Surprises me how well it works for the price.

Only other thing I have from them so far is an electric chain saw sharpener. Kind of chincey plastic, but did seem to work on the 2 chains I have sharpened. If I was into really using the saws, probably would get one of the $ 100 name brand ones, but I don't saw much wood.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You are insulting word "excellent" I just throw in a flash light like that in a dryer doing laundry. in about two hours result will come out. It costs a buck at $ store.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It's a good/cheap "3 digit meter" :>

You've obviously never encountered any counterfeit components: blob of black plastic with leads coming out of it -- but no die inside! :>

I use a cylindrical file and a clip on guide. Takes probably 5 minutes to "kiss" each tooth (cutter and raker). Biggest time sink is thoroughly cleaning the chain/bar beforehand. Biggest *risk* is taking the rakers down to far... :<

ObHint: there's a point in the chain that is noticeably different from all other links. If you start there, you can easily tell when you've gone full circle -- without having to count teeth!

Reply to
Don Y

I have not gotten any components direct from China. Just a few already built things for about $ 2 to $ 20.

For some reason I don't seem to be able to sharpen the chain saw very good with the round file and guide. I bring it in and put it in a vise, sharpen one side and turn it around to do the opposite tooth.. The $ 30 HF sharpener does a much beter job for me and the saw cuts a lot beter. I guess that if I sharpened very many chaines I could get beter at it. Sort of like the drill bits. I use drill doctor for them. Come to think of it, the electric sharpener was not much more than the files and guides.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I bring the file/guide out into the yard with me when using a saw. Thus, I am willing/prepared to sharpen the chain as soon as it starts feeling "unproductive" (working with a dull chain increases chance of doing something you may regret!)

Set the saw between my legs ("off") and do all the "left facing" teeth, manually advancing the chain between each until I've made the full circuit. Then, switch to the right teeth and repeat the exercise.

Have to remember that the file wears over time, too. So, remove guide and "roll" the file a quarter turn, or so. Replace file periodically. (they're inexpensive and save you money/time in the end)

I am leary of electric things that claim to sharpen; doing so is done by removing metal... too easy to get carried away and end up with "nothing" (I've watched a friend's chef knife grow visibly smaller over the years as he's constantly "sharpening" it -- with a motorized sharpener! :< )

With the file and guide, I can "kiss" the teeth before they need "serious attention" and, hopefully, keep the chain sharper and more productive -- as well as minimizing the risk of getting too aggressive with a sharpener.

Bottom line is to find a tool/approach with which you're comfortable. A neighbor doesn't have the discipline to keep his saw sharp. From time to time, I'll sharpen it for him. Otherwise, he just replaces it when it gets too "dull"

Reply to
Don Y

I took the load out of the dryer. Flash kight still works. No damage. Think tumbling cloth protected it from dinged around. That is it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I bought a whole trailer from them. 4x8 bed. Had it shipped to my brother in Texas. Box all broken up but everything was there.

Drove it back to Maryland. Then gave it to a friend who put sides on it, with the brackets it came with, and used it take remodeling trash from his remodel to his office, where he has dumpster service. Been used for about 7 years now.

Reply to
Micky