Harbor freight makes excellent tools.

Page 1 of 2
Doing laundry today i somehow washed and dried a harbor freight free flashlight, one of those free ones.,
i found it working well putting out a nice brite light in the dryer,
i had done many loads today, so i doubt it was on the entire time. proably got turned on tumbling in the dryer,
this flashlight was one of thoe alunimum tube ones.
i ws amazed it survived the laundry
On 12/7/2015 2:17 PM, bob haller wrote:

Would be more amusing if it had been in the *washer* -- a front loader so you could watch the light as it bounced around in the wash! :>

Not much that can break, there. LED's don't care about the sorts of temperatures you'd find in a dryer -- nor the mechanical abuse. Switch is actually recessed *in* the back of the flashlight so it's not subject to much abuse (though the rubber cover might age quicker).
Biggest concern would be the batteries -- leaking prematurely, etc.
[Or, any enamel paint coating on the inside of the dryer drum -- if you've that sort of dryer -- getting chipped from the contact with the metal flashlight case]
On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 4:17:15 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:

well it did go thrua front loader, i did wonder about some occasional noise, but was busy with other things
On 12/7/2015 4:17 PM, bob haller wrote:

I do two things to those short lights:
1) Grease the tail cap threads. 2) Put the battery pack in backwards when the unit isn't going to be used for a while. 3) Get a lot of them and give em away for Christmas. 4) Write about it on Usenet.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 6:16:48 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

5) Shine it on a book that will teach a person how to count.
Oren posted for all of us...

Ezpecillie wen itz common corpse.
--
Tekkie

On 12/7/2015 5:16 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

There are 10 kinds of people, those who know binary and those who don't.
On 12/08/2015 12:16 AM, IGot2P wrote:

What about the other 1000?
On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 11:16:25 PM UTC-6, IGot2P wrote:

✌.|•͡˘‿•͡˘|.✌
On 12/7/2015 4:17 PM, bob haller wrote:

They do have a rubber o ring seal on the battery box. I don't believe Harbor Freight makes any of their own gear.
On 12/7/15 4:17 PM, bob haller wrote:

Actually they sell tools, I doubt they manufacture them.
--
The press wants every person running for president to be for everything
and to stand for nothing. Just how they roll...
On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 9:17:25 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:

+1
Some of their stuff is fine, works great and is a great deal. Like ratchet extensions or a breaker bar. Some other stuff is cheap junk. Example of that is a set of snap ring pliers I bought. Instead of hardened steel, the tips were made of metal so soft, they just bent trying to open the first snap ring. Bought one of their cheap VOMs. It worked fine for about a year, then started reading 150V, instead of 120V.
On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 06:27:43 -0800 (PST), trader_4

I got one of those VOM's and it just died after about 4 uses. I have a quality VOM that still works fine after about 40 years. I just bought this cheap VOM for auto use, because I hate getting my quality VOM covered with grease and dirt outdoors. I have since bought a $15 VOM at Walmart and it's been working fine for 2 or 3 years now.
The ONLY tool I bought at HF that has not yet broken is a trailer ball wrench. It fits both size ball nuts. Basically a big box wrench. Aside from that, nothing has been worth buying from them. I wont even go into their stores anymore.

I got one of hte 'free' VOMs to see how well it would work. Only had it a couple of months. I did compair it to my Fluke and it seems to be good enough for general work. It will be interisting to see how long it lasts. It does have one adjustment in it so the first person may need to adjust it.
I have ordered a lot of inexpensive electronic stuff direct from China off ebay. Surprises me how well it works for the price.
Only other thing I have from them so far is an electric chain saw sharpener. Kind of chincey plastic, but did seem to work on the 2 chains I have sharpened. If I was into really using the saws, probably would get one of the $ 100 name brand ones, but I don't saw much wood.
On 12/8/2015 3:09 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

It's a good/cheap "3 digit meter" :>

You've obviously never encountered any counterfeit components: blob of black plastic with leads coming out of it -- but no die inside! :>

I use a cylindrical file and a clip on guide. Takes probably 5 minutes to "kiss" each tooth (cutter and raker). Biggest time sink is thoroughly cleaning the chain/bar beforehand. Biggest *risk* is taking the rakers down to far... :<
ObHint: there's a point in the chain that is noticeably different from all other links. If you start there, you can easily tell when you've gone full circle -- without having to count teeth!

I have not gotten any components direct from China. Just a few already built things for about $ 2 to $ 20.
For some reason I don't seem to be able to sharpen the chain saw very good with the round file and guide. I bring it in and put it in a vise, sharpen one side and turn it around to do the opposite tooth.. The $ 30 HF sharpener does a much beter job for me and the saw cuts a lot beter. I guess that if I sharpened very many chaines I could get beter at it. Sort of like the drill bits. I use drill doctor for them. Come to think of it, the electric sharpener was not much more than the files and guides.
On 12/8/2015 5:33 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I bring the file/guide out into the yard with me when using a saw. Thus, I am willing/prepared to sharpen the chain as soon as it starts feeling "unproductive" (working with a dull chain increases chance of doing something you may regret!)
Set the saw between my legs ("off") and do all the "left facing" teeth, manually advancing the chain between each until I've made the full circuit. Then, switch to the right teeth and repeat the exercise.
Have to remember that the file wears over time, too. So, remove guide and "roll" the file a quarter turn, or so. Replace file periodically. (they're inexpensive and save you money/time in the end)

I am leary of electric things that claim to sharpen; doing so is done by removing metal... too easy to get carried away and end up with "nothing" (I've watched a friend's chef knife grow visibly smaller over the years as he's constantly "sharpening" it -- with a motorized sharpener! :< )
With the file and guide, I can "kiss" the teeth before they need "serious attention" and, hopefully, keep the chain sharper and more productive -- as well as minimizing the risk of getting too aggressive with a sharpener.
Bottom line is to find a tool/approach with which you're comfortable. A neighbor doesn't have the discipline to keep his saw sharp. From time to time, I'll sharpen it for him. Otherwise, he just replaces it when it gets too "dull" <frown>
On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 17:41:06 -0700, Don Y

Don't they even sell knives new that are already that shape, that comes from sharpening? As if having a knife that was sharpened for hours already will make one a better cook.
On 12/8/2015 7:16 PM, Don Y wrote:

If you can't tell a filed bright shiny tooth from a dull, oiled, tarnished tooth.....
you're not making any difference at all.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Also left-handed drill bits, set of 4. Much cheaper than the other brand and good enough to drill out specialty screws. Using left-hand means the screw is likely to unscrew before you drill all the way through, so you get the shaft and not just the head.