Harbor Freight/Homier rotary tool vs. a real Dremel or Craftsman

hi, I am currently in the market for a rotary Dremel-type tool, with a flex shaft. I found that while a suitable Dremel or Craftsman tool of this type cost $80+, I could purchase a copy-cat version from Harbor Freight ($30) or Homier ($20). I'm wondering if anyone can provide some experience-based feedback regarding differences in quality, etc.. of these tools. thanks.

Reply to
308nato

The cheap tools are OK for a one time project, never to be used again. If you intend to use it over time for many projects, spend the money for a good tool. The general differences are cheaper, smaller bearings. looser tolerances, more vibration. I've never seen a Homier tool, but I've never heard anything good about them either.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Oh yeh... I bought a bunch of stuff at Homier once, and everything broke the first time I used it. I can't imagine how they stay in business.

I have spent a lot more money at HF since the opened a store in town. Their products are crude, but they usually are a good value. And, they refunded my money for a defective clamp. Try that at Homier.

Reply to
toller

If you will be a light user of the power tools, HF stuff might be worth a try. Some of their stuff is OK at the price level. If you are going to be a serious hobbyist/pro user, I would go with the brand names. I always hear that Homier is junk.

bill

Reply to
bill a