Harbor Freight going out of Business

Probably all done by a computer at HQ. You'd think they could make exceptions though.
Clearance sale, 20% off?
Harbor Freight going out of Business. http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t &037
Not that it's any real loss, since their tools were mostly all junk anyhow!
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

You post a 18 month old story that's obviously not true?

someone with a grudge against HF.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

And thinks he can fool the rest of us when we know their tools are not junk. For example, I have never found finer sponge brushes. A delight to hold, a thrill to use, and a magnificence to own. I have several. Not even Purdy brushes come close (and Harbor Freight Sponge Brushes only cost about fifteen cents when purchased in a pack of a dozen).
Their only disadvantage is that I can't figure a way to bronze one.

They may be opening new stores, but some of what's contained in the article, if true, suggests there could be trouble ahead. It claims the son has highly leveraged the company, taking money out of the company to buy Marvin Davis' estate, NYC apartments, $100mil painting, etc. It wouldn't be the first company to go out of business at some point because of similar practices. And from experience, when that kind of thing is going on, there is often more that you don't know about, like fooling with the books...
On 2/9/2012 8:36 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I'll agree with you there. I worked for a small family business decades ago where, as soon as the son took over, the high living and looting began. He expanded the operation, got into new areas the family business had never been in before, opened multiple new stores. He bought himself a new house, new cars and other toys, long vacations, basically never showed up to work. Result: a few years later all the new stores were closing, wholesalers were repossessing their unpaid merchandise right off the stores' shelves, and finally the bankers called father and son into a meeting where they were told, no more loan extensions, no more second/third/fourth chances, they were shutting us down. If it hadn't been for their real estate agent bursting into the meeting with the news that one of the store locations had found a buyer, that would've been it. As it was, the bank agreed to take the proceeds of the sale and give us more time. The father and I worked nonstop to bring the business back from the brink of bankruptcy, while his son continued his playboy lifestyle. I was supposed to take over the father's part of the operations when he eventually retired (again). Instead, they decided to hire the son's no-good son (whose criminal record kept him from finding a job anywhere else) to take his grandpa's position, and keep me as his assistant. I quit.
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote in

Apparently you managed to miss the fact that both the post, and the article it refers to, are from July 2010.
On Feb 9, 4:42am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

First off that's not an article, and second off it happened in 2010.
In typed:

It doesn't say they're going out of business, dude. Learn to read.

The dollies are definitely cheaper than what I could build - better, too. As I get older, I like wheeled things better and better. I use them to store fileboxes in the attic so I can push them all "down one and out" easily when it's time to archive another year. Cheap enough to put lots of stuff "on wheels."
Every friend I've ever taken along to HF has gone back on their own. Sometimes on the very same day after playing with discounted toys like their weed-burner torch. Hard to beat a self-igniting torch like that for under $25. The sale prices are very low and the regular prices aren't hard to stomach if you need something that day. I've never seen a female customer in there, though. It's a guy place, for sure.
Most of what I've bought there has been quite serviceable for light duty use. Lots of tools you'd be very hard pressed to locate elsewhere like the propane torch.
-- Bobby G.

I just looked through the latest catalog. There's not much in it that would appeal to her. Or many women. What do you suggest would be useful to her?
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

* Sponge brushes (I love their sponge brushes) for applying foundation. * Her own personal tool-kit for piddly stuff like hanging a picture. * The free or almost free Chinese scissors. * Batteries. * Nitrile, or latex, gloves. * Collapsible step stool or similar. * Any toolbox with compartment for small things. * Furniture sliders * Bicycle lift. * Trunk organizer. * Flashlights.
Admittedly, none of the above are suitable for a Valentine's present. When browsing in a tool store, a man thinks of an item as "What can I use this for?" A woman picks up something simple, such as a torque wrench, and thinks "WTF would I EVER do with something like this."
Ceramic kitchen knives?

Duct Tape

I have bought her HF tools - screwdrivers, ploiers, etc so that mine do not get damaged by mis-use (screwdriver for a pry bar, etc)
I also keep HF tools around as loaners to neighbors who have also shown in the past they don't know the correct use of hand tools and a few power tools as well. I keep them in a tool box that is easily seen when one enters my garage. I call it my loaner box.
John C.

I bought a hand truck last summer. Big wide brute with big blowup wheels. Was not on sale, paid almost$100 , but I love it. Some of their electric tool bits, wheels, etc are excellent. I have been using two different hammer drills, no problems after a few years home remodling. Had some problems with leaking air couplers. Replacement tires are holding up. Their orange mini screwdriver sets are to die for. Best I have ever used. I have an axe made in us, us handle, German blade, excellent. No problems with air hammer. Extension cords are not cheap price. Tile cutter works nice. Straps and rope are pretty good buys. Batteries are ok. Hammers good. Cheap wood clamps are not too good. Battery chargers pretty good, except I misused one. I bought mail-order for years, just glad store opened up.
Greg

The posted web forum thread is from July 2010 and the news was old even then. There's been no indication that HF is going out of business, this is just a dispute between the company's founder (the father) and current operator (son)
The trade deficit with China is not large enough. Buy more stuff from China Harbor Freight. Leave your children with an even bigger trade deficit. When the US is totally owned by China, maybe your children can work in a China slave factory too.
http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/chinablue/film.html
No matter where you shop, look for that "Made in China" label. Your kids will thank you some day.

You always buy American? Everything? What appliances do you have in your house?
On 2/12/2012 12:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

LOL! I'm just going to charge all my China Freight purchases to my MasterCard Trade Deficit Card and send the bill to your soon-to-be unemployed kids. ROFLMAO!