Harbor Freight Electronic Fly Swatter???

Page 2 of 2
On Jun 9, 8:19am, "Stormin Mormon"

The benefits of DC are that power losses for the same amount of power received at the far end. are lower. Transformers can't work on DC, and they are necessary to raise the voltage to high levels so current levels can be lower and losses lower. So, until transformers became understood, as Tesla did and Edison didn't, there was that controversy. Only with the advent of transistors capable of switching DC and making it into AC was high voltage long-distance transmission of DC practical.

Guess you've never seen a cattle prod in use. The older ones run on D cells. I think they use 4 or 6 of them. The newer ones seem to be rechargable. http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/cattleprods.html
They'll shock a cow real fast, and there is a large arc and loud snap. I've seen them in use. I'd sure hate to get zapped with one. If I ever find one cheap at a garage sale or auction, I'll buy it just to open it and play with the electronics inside. (I dont own cattle, and would not use it on them if I did..... seems cruel).
On the other hand, I have gotten zapped with an electric fence many times. Once I was sweating and got it against my forehead. Knocked me right on my ass.

Gee... only took once fer me. That's pretty much the general idea. ;)
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

Back in the day, when I was a cop, one or two officers had 6-cell Maglite flashlights. Except that the flashlight contained only FIVE cells. The space formerly taken up by the bottom D-cell contained an, um, "goblin getter," attached to two 1/4" pins in the base of the flashlight.
If the stink-eye wouldn't cooperate by following some simplest request ("Okay, asshole, what is the largest prime number less than 100,000? Eh? Eh?"), he, or rarely she, could be encouraged to follow a righteous path. Sometimes for as long as ten minutes!
In police equipment catalogs, I've seen punk-prods thinly disguised as regulation batons.

Well, with inflation they are now $2.49 on sale.

As has been pointed out, one problem is that you can't smash anything - or at least anything you value - with the heavy and hard contraption.
That aside, they're wonderful. If you luck out, the fly gets wedged in the wiring grid and will actually catch fire. If that doesn't warm your heart, you're a lot more stoic than I.
I had one stop working for no obvious reason, but given the low price it was a no-brainer to replace it. I haven't gotten so much practical pleasure out of an inexpensive purchase in a long time.
Art