Harbor Freight difficult choice

I can get another battery for my impact driver for $14.99

Or, I can get a cordless drill with a charger and battery for 16.99

So, dear Miss Manners, which is the better deal?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Since I needed tools for industrial use I got one of these

or something like it.

The small battery pack fooled me. It really holds up longer and charges fast.

Of course it was not cheap.

Reply to
philo

Lot to be said for quality "a poor man cannot afford a cheap shirt". But, for the moment I don't have any spending money.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Seriously, I'd save my money.

Example: Friend of mine bought a Harbor Freight tire inflator. He laughed at me for paying $60 for a Longacre inflator when his HF one cost under $1

0 and to be fair, the gauge on it checked within the limits of my eyes as a ccurate WRT the Longacre.

Fast forward a couple months. Suddenly the gauge on the HF inflator is rea ding high. I figured that I'd just slap a better gauge on it and give it b ack to him. Well it takes a 1/8" NPT gauge and all I can find that seem de cent are 1/4". Then I thought I'd tell him to just buy another $10 inflato r and I'll salvage what I can for my tool kit. Well the tire chuck on it i s kind of annoying, the gauge is busted, and the inflator itself sticks som etimes. What's left... the hose?

I really like my Longacre inflator. Interco makes a nice one, too.

nate

Reply to
N8N

So you are not going to be a good American and go into debt?

Me neither.

Reply to
philo

In my case, I'm an excellent American. But, there is a limit to how much I can run up, and then I've got to slow down a bit. As you can tell, I'm not in Congress.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have /one/ credit card and have a rule:

If I can't afford it, I don't buy it.

It's for convenience only and I have not paid one cent interest.

When the stock became public I bought all I could afford and now the money I'm making from it is about equal to my monthly bills.

Reply to
philo

Are you making any money off the credit card ? One of mine pays a small percentage back. Also have a couple of store credit cards that if you charge them you get a deal sometimes. Like Lowes gives you 5 % off if I remember the correct card. Charged something to Belks with their card and got a deal, but need to make sure it is payed off. Think it is like about 24%.

Just make sure you can pay off what you charge at the end of the month. Also use a pay by computer (whatever you call it) to send money from my checking account to the various places.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yes, I get 1% back. Like I said...I have never paid a cent of interest ...full amount is paid each month.

I suppose I could setup a bank transfer as pretty much everything I have is auto-deposit or auto-withdrawal..

Reply to
philo

Paypal?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I use Paypal, but that is not what I was trying to think of.

I have several bills each month such as the power and cable bills. At my credit union (use it instead of a bank) there is a place you can set up for the bills. YOu can add them any time you get a differant place.

When I get a bill, I go to the credit union page on the web, sign in and there is a list of places I have set up. I then enter the ammount I want to pay and when I want them to send it. I think I can use the telephone to do it if I want to try and work my way around it. The credit union then handles it however they do it. Probably an electronic transfer. All that is a free service. Saves me from mailing the bill back or going to the store to pay them. If I want to I can just take the bill to the store or send them a check. If I go to another place that sends out bills, I can add it without any trouble.

As my pension and social security goes there, it is convienient for me. I can check on what I have at any time and if the checking account runs low and I have the money , I can transfer some from the money market account that is now paying a whopping .15% Was gettin a lot more before the big meltdown of the economy. Just about the same as a 1 year CD. Think that is what small CDs for one year are getting there now.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

A man who buys cheap shoes can never afford good shoes - and a man who always buys cheap tools will never be able to afford good tools.

Reply to
clare

I was going to make a joke and say that I'm so poor, I only get $2 a year interest at my bank...

but then realized only a millionaire would be able to get that much return considering the interest rate is something like 0.0002 %

Reply to
philo

Power cord, for your next car device?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, I get about the same interest rate on savings. I guess it balances out because I have totally free checking.

Reply to
willshak

Yep, I just keep enough money in my account to qualify for free checking. I guess they'd charge $6 a month otherwise.

Reply to
philo

Or, I can get a cordless drill with a charger and

I have one of these that I bought in 1989 and it's still going strong. I've had to replace the batteries a few times and since the item was manufactured by Panasonic for Milwaukee, the Panasonic batteries for their identical unit except for housing color will fit. Last year I got several new batteries from Amazon. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Because I'm on Social Security Disability and can't, no matter how hard I try, work anymore. I will never be able to replace my tools. I keep them locked up to prevent any permanent borrowing. I do loan them to trusted friends and use them around the house but I can't run up and down ladders anymore like I could when I was in my 50's. I could climb like a monkey but now I just look like one. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I pay everything online even my vehicle tag because I'm unable to stand in any queue even if I take my walker. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Are you worth more dead than alive? ^_^