Harbor Freight coming to a location near me

Page 1 of 2
WAHOO!!!!
Just saw in the local paper Harbor Freight is opening a new store on the Naperville-Aurora border, about 1.2 miles from home. No more driving 30 minutes to the next nearest store.
Now I am going to have to discipline myself to not go there more than 2x a month unless I leave my cash and credit cards at home. Just wish they had been open 45 years ago when I bought this house.
In article

I live about 50 miles from corporate HQ, yet I'd never been to a store in my life until 3 months ago. It was just a bunch of junk. I've bought 3-4 items from them "mail order," and been disappointed every time. Think about that: You expect junk, and the quality is so bad that you're still disappointed. Beats the hell out of me why everyone raves about them. I'd rather have 1 good tool than 100 shitty ones.

Pretty much agree, but they do have the occasional "good enough" tool at reasonable price. It all depends on your needs. Recently, I bought two digital readout micrometers for $10 each. Would I use them as a machinist? Hell no. Would I use the to see of a rod is 10 mm or 12 mm? Certainly, that is what I bought them for. Nor do I get upset if one of the setup guys drops them.
Do I need .001 accuracy? Sometimes, and then I pull out the good mic in my desk drawer.
When to comes to hand tools, even simple stuff like a hammer and screwdrivers, I get the best brands and appreciate the difference.
On 12/14/2012 9:54 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

There is a store about 5 blocks away from me. Plenty of decent tools at great prices. Really great when you need some weird tool that HD sells for 3 or 4 times the HF price, like that strap wrench I bought for $4 (for 2) and HD had for $15. Worked just fine.
On 12/14/2012 08:38 PM, gonjah wrote:

I have a store a couple of miles from me, and I've gotten a lot of things from there. Metalworking bandsaw, abrasive cut-off saw, and a sliding miter saw. I bought a ground clamp for my welder from them, as well as a few different sets of drill bits, one of which I use for metalworking.
Other things, too, like casters, LED lights for my trailer, pneumatic fittings, safety equipment, a 1lb propane tank filler, a heat gun, abrasive disks, various clamps, and about 10 multimeters of various types and prices.
Mind you, these are things I bought in the store, so I could check the quality, and, for things like the clamps, grade them before they came home with me.
There are a lot of things I wouldn't consider buying at HF, but of the things I have bought from HF, I have been very pleased; they have all suited my (non-commercial) needs well, and saved me a sizeable chunk of money over what is generally the same cheap China crap that a big box sells.
Jon

Your setup guys don't own their own tools?

Most, but I provide them with some. Like the 120 mm open end wrench that gets used maybe once every two or three years.
I won't buy most sockets, cordless drills, other common and easily stolen tools.
On 12/14/2012 9:54 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Harbor Freight is a good source for "loaner" tools. A fellow wants to borrow my DVM, I hand him a $6.95 HF meter and say "That will be ten bucks and you can keep it." ^_^
TDD

You must be reading my mind. I bought a few of their garbage items. They wont be seeing me or my money again. It's the same crap all the stores are selling now for stocking stuffers. Cheap made in China crap, that generally breaks within it's first months use.
Per snipped-for-privacy@home.com:

But if it's only going to see a few days or weeks of use...
--
Pete Cresswell

Then you just wasted your money and made China richer. If you only need a tool once, borrow or rent it. If you want to use it again, buy a QUALITY tool. You can always sell it later if needed, on ebay.
Everything I bought at HF has been cheap junk. I dont want to be working on my car and smash my hand because a cheap HF tool broke. Then again, I buy tools to use over and over. I might not always get the top of the line tools, but I sure dont want the bottom of the line crap sold at HF. Black&Decker is normally lower quality tools, but they are 100 times better than that no-branded HF garbage.
By the way, I do have one multimeter that I bought at HF for around $7. I've had it for 3 years and it still works..... Miracles do happen..... Then again, it normally only gets used on 12v auto voltage and an occasional 120vac. Plus, I always make sure to set the proper settings and not abuse it.... That's the ONLY HF tool that has lasted for me. All the others are now in some landfill.

HF sells more than tools. They sell zip ties, dollies, sand paper, gloves, rope, moving blankets, and hundreds of other non-powered items.
They sell many of these items much cheaper than a lot of other places and the quality is as good as it needs to be for these type of items.
And let's not forget our favorite HF item, the $2.50 electronic fly swatter.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=Insect+swatter
On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 01:46:03 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Just drove over to one today (20mi, or so). I walked out with zip ties. They do have some stuff worth owning but not much. I was looking at one of their tool cabinets. It wasn't too bad for the price.

Some other stuff is good. I have their 10" SCMS, which is good enough for framing and I don't care if it gets wet. ;-) I also have one of their wet saws that is perfectly adequate and about 1/4 the price of anything the box stores sell.

I've bought a few of their plastic tool boxes to store some of my power tools that didn't come with a case, like my DeWalt angle grinder. Keeps everything together for a pretty decent price.
I will admit to owning a HF 1/2" hammer drill. I was resurfacing my garage floor and wanted to make sure I didn't burn out my "good" corded drill mid-job while mixing the resurfacing material. I spent something like $35 on the drill and not only did it make it through the concrete mixing, but I used it to drill about a gazillion holes in the block wall to fasten the wire mesh for parging.
I also have a 10” benchtop disc sander, something that doesn't get a lot of work, but does what I need it to do when I use it.
And of course, there's the ever faithful multifunction tool.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yep. And at $16.99 it makes a dandy Christmas gift.
For yourself, if necessary.

Damn- I paid $20 for the two I bought for gifts.<g> They will come with the caveat that there are more expensive, better balanced ones out there-- but if you want to see how handy they are, this is the best *I'm* going to do. And if you're doing a disgustingly gritty and dusty job-- leave your Fein in the box and let your HF Twitchin' tool take the abuse.
Jim

SWMBO is buying me an upgrade for Christmas. The variable speed model is on sale for $33.99. With the 20% off coupon, that's $27.19.
My son is getting a used single speed model for Christmas. I win twice - A free upgrade for me and I don't have to spend anything on a gift for my son. ;-)
The US has a record-high trade deficit with China. We are in serious trouble. You can blame the Republicans or Democrats if you like but the real blame goes to the consumer.
Anyone that continues to contribute to the China trade deficit when they have other purchasing options, should be convicted of treason and then executed.
And no, I'm not trolling! I'm serious as a heart attack!

There's light at the end of the tunnel. Manufacturing is beginning to move back to U.S. soil.

It all started when us companies didn't want to deal with exporting, and making stuff to others specs.
Couple years ago I bought a harbor freight axe. German blade, American handle, and I don't think it was assembled in china.
Greg