Harbor Freight Cargo Carrier - 92655 - Experience?

Page 1 of 3

Has anyone tried the HF Aluminum Cargo Carrier?
http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-aluminum-cargo-carrier-92655.html
I just bought one for $50 with a coupon.
If a low quality HF drill craps out, that's no big deal, but a cargo carrier that fails at 70 MPH is a different story - mainly for the guy behind me.

Made in China? Please check the label. This is relevant.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I have one and have not had any issues with it. From it's construction it does not appear likely to suffer any sudden catastrophic failure without warning. Certainly you should be inspecting it every time before you take off after stopping somewhere, just as you should a trailer hitch.

.
Thanks Pete.
Do you use the nylon cover from HF?
http://www.harborfreight.com/54-1-2-half-inch-long-expandable-nylon-cargo-carrier-cover-95165.html
I bought the cover (with the 20% off coupon) but I am considering building a box with handles for ease of loading/unloading.
Thoughts?
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 05:58:16 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

That should greatly enhance high speed handling in an emergency!
On Jul 29, 9:28am, snipped-for-privacy@nowheremonfrere.com wrote:

Probably less than the impact on emergency handling when I'm towing my trailer...but thanks for playing.
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 06:40:50 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Don't be too sure that you are correct on that.
The trailer being dragged behind actually has a dampening effect that this thing completely lacks.
On Jul 29, 9:47am, snipped-for-privacy@nowheremonfrere.com wrote:

True, but it also depends on the "emergency" and the corrective action required. I'd rather run off the road onto a steeply sloped median with the carrier than with the trailer.
I'm sure there are other situations where I'd rather have the trailer than the carrier.
In any case, since I can't predict what will happen on any given trip, I'll stay aware of what is attached to my vehicle and react accordingly.

Speaking as someone who regularly uses both the carrier and a 1200 lb GW trailer, I say he _can_ be sure. At least on a Jeep Cherokee size vehicle, handling is certainly affected more by a loaded trailer than a loaded carrier.
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 21:09:50 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Put 4 or 500 pounds of weight on the carrier and get back to us after running a slalom course.

The heaviest load I've had on the carrier was about 320 lbs, so I can't say for sure about 400 or 500. And I don't run slalom courses in my jeep. OTOH, I can say with a fair degree of certainty that it would be faster through a slalom course with 400 lbs on the carrier than with a loaded trailer.

On Jul 29, 5:09pm, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Larry:
How tight is your carrier bar in the receiver?
I just assembled the carrier and installed it on my vehicle's Class 3 hitch.
There is a lot of play in the receiver. At the farthest back end of the carrier, I've got almost 2.5 inches of vertical motion and about the same side to side.
Is yours that loose?
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 16:26:17 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

YOu're sure you're not moving the car?
The bar is not as big as other draw bars?
I needed a spine for mine, and I found one at Home Depot. Of course I don't know it's spec compared to the specs of teh one that came with it, but it looked even heavier, though the home depot one has 4 holes every 2 inches. I wonder if that will ruin the 500 pound capacity??????????
My point was, it's one way to check the leeway of your receiver, without having the mass of the carrier to confuse you. Or, it's another 2x2 inch pipe, which might be bigger than the carrier's 2x2 inch pipe.
Or, just measure the carrier's 2x2 and comparie it with any other thing you've ever put in the receiver. If it's the same size, don't worry aobut it. If the carrier's is smaller, stuff hard shims in.
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 16:26:17 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

YOu're sure you're not moving the car?
The bar is not as big as other draw bars?
I needed a spine for mine, and I found one at Home Depot. Of course I don't know it's spec compared to the specs of teh one that came with it, but it looked even heavier, though the home depot one has 4 holes every 2 inches. I wonder if that will ruin the 500 pound capacity??????????
<...snipped...>

It has a fair degree of rocking up & down, maybe 3 inches, around the axis of the drawbar, measured at the extreme left or right side, and maybe 2 inches in a side-to-side, parallel to the ground plane. I drive at moderate speed when it is installed and loaded, but I've never worried about it much. There are some drawbar pins and attachments available to take the play out if it concerns you. The ones I have seen have a large bolt that tightens down against the side of the drawbar.

On Jul 29, 8:35pm, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Thanks for confirming that it's not just my carrier/receiver.
I've looked up some DrawTite anti-rattle accessories and there are a few to choose from. I've also run across a few homemade solutions that I'll look into. Thanks again.

Found this...sounds simple enough
2/20/2001 12:05:00 PM Submitted by Roy W. from FLORIDA says Rattlin' Hitch I had the same rattling problem and here is how I fixed it. I drilled a 5/16" hole in the bottom of the receiver forward of the pin, and tapped it for a 3/8" bolt and jam nut. Just tighten the bolt up against the draw bar and jam the nut up against it. No more rattle.
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 17:48:43 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I backed off when I read there were commerical solutions, but if you want homemade, use Double Bubble. chew for 15 minutes. Insert. Dry for 2 days before using.

snipped-for-privacy@nowheremonfrere.com wrote:

On the OP's part or the guy following?

You buy it and then ask for reviews...? I think we need to work on the cart and horse order. ;)