Harbor Freight Cargo Carrier - 92655 - Experience?

Has anyone tried the HF Aluminum Cargo Carrier?

I just bought one for $50 with a coupon.

If a low quality HF drill craps out, that's no big deal, but a cargo carrier that fails at 70 MPH is a different story - mainly for the guy behind me.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Made in China? Please check the label. This is relevant.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That should greatly enhance high speed handling in an emergency!

Reply to
JohnnyD

I have one and have not had any issues with it. From it's construction it does not appear likely to suffer any sudden catastrophic failure without warning. Certainly you should be inspecting it every time before you take off after stopping somewhere, just as you should a trailer hitch.

Reply to
Pete C.

Probably less than the impact on emergency handling when I'm towing my trailer...but thanks for playing.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

.

Thanks Pete.

Do you use the nylon cover from HF?

I bought the cover (with the 20% off coupon) but I am considering building a box with handles for ease of loading/unloading.

Thoughts?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You buy it and then ask for reviews...? I think we need to work on the cart and horse order. ;)

RicodJour

Don't be too sure that you are correct on that.

The trailer being dragged behind actually has a dampening effect that this thing completely lacks.

Reply to
JohnnyD

You buy it and then ask for reviews...? I think we need to work on the cart and horse order. ;)

===========

And there are reviews on the web page. The only major complaint is the lousy instructions. Personally, I've returned items for that reason. Cripes - does it really cost a company money to choose a larger font before printing their instructions?

I wondered if it was made in China. It's funny how real Amurkins were all hot & bothered about communism at one time, but now, they're delighted to buy from a communist dictatorship.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

True, but it also depends on the "emergency" and the corrective action required. I'd rather run off the road onto a steeply sloped median with the carrier than with the trailer.

I'm sure there are other situations where I'd rather have the trailer than the carrier.

In any case, since I can't predict what will happen on any given trip, I'll stay aware of what is attached to my vehicle and react accordingly.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Buying and using it are two very different things.

Both of the HF's near me were out of them earlier this week when I found the coupon. They are back-ordered on the website.

One store had 3 come in this morning and the other had 2.

I'm going on vacation in 2 weeks, so I bought one while the stock was available knowing that I can easily return it if the reviews warrant.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: "And there are reviews on the web page"

Read 'em...liked 'em.

I just figured I'd try for some "real life" opinions here. You never really know what filters a web site might use on their comments - especially the web site that is selling the product. Go ahead, call me paranoid. I lost all trust when I found out the Penthouse Letters were faked.

Besides, as expected, this question has already lead to some interesting comments and tangents - much more fun than just reading the reviews at hf.com. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If you'll scroll down towards the bottom of the page, you'll see a link to a downloadable manual; a pdf file that can be resized as big as you'd like.

I'd rather circumnavigate the earth twice before I stopped to ask for directions. This is no different. I don't need no steenking directions.

It's a man thing.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

Women ask for directions, but then are unable to follow them, because they want to "interpret" everything.

Reply to
salty

Harbor freight plays it straight. Go to their website and search for a heavy duty trailer dolly. I bought one after reading the reviews, then posted my own experience. True, it was mostly positive but I included what I didn't like and how I had to modify it to make it suit my needs. They've printed my comments verbatim.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

Yeah, I know all about that. That's for people who lose their instructions and need another copy. If a manufacturer can't make the miniscule effort needed to provide proper, legible instructions ALONG WITH THE PRODUCT, they don't get my business.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

For the most part, I agree with your sentiments.

However, given the option of a $50 carrier with improper, illegible instructions versus $80, $90 or more for one with a pretty manual, I'll live with the bad instructions - especially if the manual is easily available on-line.

Am I wimping out and letting them get away with poor service? Yep. Was I able to purchase the carrier *and* the nylon cover for less than the price of the carrier alone? Yep.

For that, I'm willing to sacrifice my principles.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Does it come with a provision for a safety chain, just in case...

Reply to
willshak

I have a steel one, and I'm sorry I bought it. It's too heavy to carry back and forth to the car. If I could store it right where I parked the car, that wouldn't really be a problem.

So I'm planning on selling it, and I've already bought one that only has the spine and two ribs, and you make your own floor from a piece of wood. (It came in a ruptured box and I didn't notice for months. I was able to make the parts that were missing. I thought that was easier than making the vendor, probably JCWhitney, run through hoops trying to get the parts from the maker, plus I had waited months.)

As to you, since it's aluminum, weight won't be a problem.

You probably also don't have a convertible. When I put 15 pieces of damp sod on the carrier, with my car door open, the car bent and I couldn't shut the door. I ended up putting half of them in the back seat and then the front door shut.

I also carried a 2-drawrer file cabinet on it, along with another one in the back seat. I think it could have handled 4-drawer just as well.

I didn't see any change in handling, but I probably only went 60 with the sod, 40 with the file cabinet.

I put additional pinch point tape on it, striped reflective tape on the sides and corners.

Reply to
mm

I agree.

Reply to