Harbor Freight Brad Nailer Opinion

Page 1 of 2
Any thoughts on this nailer?
I've got to put some quarter round around my kitchen after a linoleum installation. Some under-the-counter toe-kick area work.
I have a 2.5 gallon 100 PSI HF air compressor.
There's a coupon for this nailer so it's 17.99 until January 4th.
As they say, what could go wrong?
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-gauge-2-in-1-nailer-stapler-97524.html?utm_source=hftusa&utm_medium=hftusa&utm_campaign=buylink
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 19:12:03 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

I've got 2 of the HF brad nailers. I don't think I paid $20 for either one-- $12 sounds right to me. I bought the second one day when the first one balked & I didn't have time to mess with it. Later I went to fix it & it worked fine.
I've run one off a 8gallon tank charged to 100lbs- and it shot 100 nails before they started sticking out a bit.
The nailer is worth $20-- the damn brads are more expensive by the time you buy 3-4 sizes.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Yep. I've got that little one, and the slightly bigger 16ga finish nailer. Both were dirt cheap, and both have been working great for everything I have thrown at them.
Keep them lubed up and they work great for around the house stuff.
Jon
On Jan 1, 12:22am, "Jon Danniken"

Thanks (all). I got some HF Gift Cards for Christmas so I'm looking for some new toys that I'll actually use.
I have an electric brad nailer that basically sucks. It drives the brads but I usually have to follow up with a hammer to bury the heads. I use it to hold stuff together after gluing up but I'm getting tired of having to hammer the heads down.
HF has a 25% off coupon good for New Years Day only, so I'll head over there in the morning.
?

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-gauge-2-in-1-nailer-stapler-97524.html?utm_source=hftusa&utm_medium=hftusa&utm_campaign=buylink
For a professional, it may be a waste of money, but for a guy doing a little trim every couple of years, it certainly is worth taking a chance. Your compressor can easily handle it too. Did you read the reviews? My only concern would be the dent it leave behind being a bit large for a brad.

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-gauge-2-in-1-nailer-stapler-97524.html?utm_source=hftusa&utm_medium=hftusa&utm_campaign=buylink I just put quarter round in our kitchen by using double face tape. Sticks good and if I ever need to remove a cabinet or rearrange them it is easy to pry off. WW

All the HF nailers are good value. Perhaps it won't be any problem in your application, but the combination stapler/nailers leave a bigger dimple in wood when used with brads, compared to the brad-only guns.

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-gauge-2-in-1-nailer-stapler-97524.html?utm_source=hftusa&utm_medium=hftusa&utm_campaign=buylink
I paid $25 for a NEW DeWalt at a hock shop. Shop around, and find something that will last. Sure, you say you might only use it now and then. Then you like it and find out how easy it is, and you start doing stuff, and it doesn't hold up. You can find a good brand name brad gun for just a few bucks more.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

I've had my HF brad nailer for four years, how long are they supposed to last?
Oh, I don't use it every day... But by the same token about the only thing I use a hammer for now is re-seating lids on paint cans.
As for pawn shop tools, aren't they "as is, where is"?

At my shops, they give a 30 day exchange guarantee. You can swap it for that amount of goods.
You will know if something doesn't work within 30 days.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Never been married, eh?
On 12/31/2010 7:12 PM DerbyDad03 spake thus:

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-gauge-2-in-1-nailer-stapler-97524.html?utm_source=hftusa&utm_medium=hftusa&utm_campaign=buylink Can't help you. But you might want to check the Harbor Freight Reviews site:
http://hfreviews.com
Independent, not connected with the company. Just people posting their opinions of HF stuff.

15 minutes with a hammer. Another 15 with the nail set. Another 1/2 hour in the hot tub to relieve the pain in the back from the weird positions you need to get both arms in. . . .
Nah- I'll take the $20 toy.<g>
Jim

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-gauge-2-in-1-nailer-stapler-97524.html?utm_source=hftusa&utm_medium=hftusa&utm_campaign=buylink
Guess I ought to put it in a yard sale as a give away. Bob-tx
DerbyDad03 wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-gauge-2-in-1-nailer-stapler-97524.html?utm_source=hftusa&utm_medium=hftusa&utm_campaign=buylink Go for it.
You can reduce the total price further by putting your hammer up for sale on Ebay.

I have to admit to being a klutz with a hammer on small work. Especially when reaching up and trying to start a nail in a nice piece of molding, and holding it in place with my other hand. I tried using my lips and my **** to hold the nail, but we won't go there. Same way on baseboards. Crouched on the floor in a semi-fetal position, upside down, in some restricted corner, I just can't seem to do very well with a hammer. But that's just me. Then I got a small nailer, and wondered why I hadn't gotten one before. My wife had to stop me before I completed putting some very nice molding on the cat. And then there's nail sets. Ever try to use a nailset on a cat once you've used a hammer and nail on it? Or using it while standing on top of a stool reaching way up? That's when we put 911 on speed dial.
Steve ;-)

The only thing I don't like about my HF brad nailers and staplers is the lack of a safety. Crawling around in the attic I gotta be careful not to nail my ass. ;-) The HF framing nailer I have is too big and heavy to be useful.

There are safety rules: 1. Always treat your nailer as if it's loaded. 2. Always keep your nailer pointed in a safe direction. 3. Do not put your finger on the nailer's trigger until ready to shoot. 4. Do not point your nailer at anything unless you intend to kill it.
HeyBub wrote:

If you do intend to kill, make sure you have a full clip.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12425803/ns/health-health_care /
--
Tony Sivori

Followed by an hour of puttying up the nasty big holes and another 15 minutes with Band Aids for the misses. Not to mention the third hand to hold the molding in place while you fuss with the brad and a nail set. Use the hammer and nail set if you have no electricity on site. Otherwise, the air gun wins on appearance, speed and convenience.
Joe