Harbor Freight

Page 1 of 2
Harbor freight tools is the answer to Chinese unemployment. I hate it but I am addicted to the place.
right on, decent quality at excellent prices, and there stores are nice
DECENT QUALITY? Guess you haven't bought any combination wrenches yet huh? Well, the quality of those are horrible, some are not even the correct size and when you use them they expand and slip on the nut. Most of the air tools ( at least the ones that I have) are pretty good, they have been holding up for over a year now with no complaints. The welding wire is good, and the sand blasting equipment is decent. I guess some of the stuff is good, but like I said the hand tools are crap.
Searcher
Shopdog, 5/23/2006,10:26:54 PM, wrote:

Well, I just ordered a reciprocating saw or $19.99. We'll see how that holds up.
Hey Badgolf,
Please let us know, I have been VERY reluctant to purchase electrical items from them. I look at it this way, if I need a tool for a once in awhile job, I'd rather buy it from HF then spend big bucks on it elsewhere. I did buy the wrenches and learned the hard way how bad they were. Luckily, they were only to keep at work for happenstance tightenings.
Searcher
I have a home inspection business and I bought two of those little GFCI testers and they failed to trip the ground fault and I put that info into my report but luckily I found out that the tester was faulty and re-tested with another device before it was too late. With Harbor freight it is hit or miss.

I had two of their GFIs trip but the front of the unit bulged out and was unuseable. I guess it worked but I bought better ones when I replaced them.
tmurf.1 wrote:

I only buy things like clamps and magnets from them. They generally can't screw those up.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

says...

Last year I bought their $99 special 10" sliding compound miter say thinking that if it was good enough to 2x4's it was worth the money. I was very pleasantly surprised. A couple of cow-orkers bought them too, one was pleased the other had issues with the slider bearings being too stiff.
I bought a "6-n-1" 10Ga. framing nailer a couple of months ago. The thing is *huge*. I'm not sure it was such a good purchase. You pays your money and takes your chances.

Most people don't realize how important the accuracy of the business end of a wrench is. A lot of times cheap wrenches have crappy plating so they're off-size. I've seen some that were the right size before plating. I don't think I'd buy any hand tools from HF, particularly without seeing them. OTOH, HF is great for things like chip brushes, gloves, and other throw-aways.
--
Keith

Their air tools all serve me faithfully. (saws, grinders etc)
Ignoramus16643 wrote:

I got their air hammer with 9 chisels when it was on sale for $10 and it works beautifully. The combo with the 1/2 impact wrench and 3/8 ratchet also works flawlessly. Their 20T air/hydraulic jack is now on my non Harbor Freight H frame press.
Pete C.

Do you know anything about their sawzall?
I need a sawzall for occasional use.
WHere you at "ig"? Cause I have one that I am not using, its not HF but its not Sears either..
Sear her
Hold on fore ya get to happy, I just went to "put hands on it" and I can't locate it. But, if I find it your welcome to it.
Searcher "C" monster took the last one
Ignoramus16643 wrote:

Dunno, I've got the Milwaukee Super Sawzall and love it, especially the quick lock blade holder and the counterbalance that helps it aggravate my carpal tunnel less.
Pete C.
Their industrial duty reciprocating saw is on sale on the web for $39.99. I don't know if the store will honor web pricing or not. I have not used any HF power tools but after looking at them in the store I would avoid most unless they are the industrial series which still are 70% less than major brand names when they are on sale. I have heard on other forums that their low line cordless tools are mostly garbage and when taken apart bronze sleeves are often found instead of ball bearings. I have a HF crown stapler that I bought for $19 with case and staples that works great to go along with my Porter Cable kit that came with a pancake compressor, finish and brad nailer. On other forums users really like their $14.99 [when on sale] 18 ga brad nailer and in general have good things to say about their drill presses. It seems that quality of tools made in China is improving if they are meant to be competitive tools. -- Steve
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberB597

Steven L Umbach wrote:

In my experience the stores are very agreeable to honoring the online prices (just print the page) and all the catalogs and flyers. Rain checks on coupons for out of stock items, or in one case an "it's on one of the two trucks we're unloading right now" item.
Pete C.
Bring the catalog (I get em in the mail every couple days) in. The store honors the catalog sale prices. Got a $25 flashlight for $10 that way.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

I bought a very nice HF jigsaw,a clone of a Bosch 1581(the model just before the quick blade release),I'm very satisfied with it. $59.95,compared to a Bosch $160 at HD.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik