Happy New Year!

The comparison of annual deaths due to guns and deaths from cancer was also accurate. But you objected to that....

If you think the US has become North Korea, then you really are totally deranged.

The airlines have a no fly list and check passenger names against it. They do not provide the govt with a list that says John Smith took a flight from Newark to San Diego at 2PM on Jan 2. If you have evidence they do, provide it.

Yes, you have to provide govt issued identification. So, what? You tried to link this to gun control. I guess you've never traveled much, have you? Otherwise you'd know that govts in countries with strict gun control laws or limited gun control laws all require the same thing, ID, screening of carry on luggage, etc. What exactly is your problem with the USA?

Once again, you're confused. How many miles exactly have you flown? I've logged 1mil+ miles flown and I've never had an invasive personal search. I have had the metal detection wand run over me maybe 12 times. I've been patted down, asked to empty my pockets a few times. I've had them find the forgotten bananna in my briefcase. And guess what? Most of those experiences were outside the USA.

That's because the screening process is in place around the world. Been to France? Gy? China? Procedures are remarkably the same. Except that in some places like France they tend to have soldiers with automatic weapons walking around the gates, watching passengers get off the bus and onto the plane, etc.

That of course is flat out wrong. Within hours of

911 the govt knew who the hijackers were because the airlines had their identities logged.

That's what I call you being an idiot. I travel the roads everyday. And other than DWI checkpoints, which have been around for decades, and being pulled over for a traffic violation, I have never been stopped for any searches or questioning. I ride the NYC subways and trains here too and have never seen a TSA person or checkpoint there either.

Where exactly doi you live that makes you such an expert on what goes on here? I'll bet you don't even live here and get your BS info from some commie pinko rag.

If TSA wants to conduct some screening of commercial trucks in conjunction with state police, which have been doing that for years, I have no problem with it.

And of course when a terrorists finally gets lucky and drives a truck bomb into NYC, you'll be right here bitching away like a true Monday morning quarterback about how bad the USA is for not preventing it.

Reply to
trader4

This is one of the many consequences of the liberals insistence on "open borders", we import people from third world cultures who think this "celebratory gunfire" is ok. This isn't something from the "redneck south" like the anti kooks try to claim, it's entirely imported.

Reply to
Pete C.

Actually it was probably some of my darker skinned cousins in this part of town. It is also heard in rural areas perpetrated by my lighter skinned cousins but out there away from town, it's much safer. The people who handle firearms irresponsibly are of all varieties of human but they all have one thing in common: "stupidity". ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

A. It spoils the idea of a surprise gift. B. It's totally unnecessary. C. It may cause a divorce when the wife, under penalty of perjury, admits she's ineligible to own a gun having formerly served time in a federal prison for white slavery and felonious mopery (exposing oneself to a blind person).

Reply to
HeyBub

After the various Patriot Acts, and the new one where the Military can just snatch people without trial. It's starting to look a bit more like Germany in the late thirties. What do you think, Comrade Herr Dufas?

.

The right to bear arms is so you can shoot the Nazi trying to take your freedom. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's not a "new one." Unlawful Enemy Combatants (spies, saboteurs, fifth-columnists, guerrilla fighters, etc., have been outside the rules of the various conventions and treaties governing conflicts between belligerents. The "usual rules of war" allow the capturing entity to deal with these folks in a most peremptory fashion (i.e. "stand next to that wall").

Our first UEA was Major John Andre who was captured behind our lines in disguise. He was given a quick review by a military court and hanged by order of George Washington.

Under his Article II powers, and following the usual rules of war, the president (or his designee) may select anyone and designate them a UEA, and there is nothing the Congress or the courts can do about it. Several cases (see the "Prize Cases") have affirmed this position, even leading one appellate judge to opine "...if the citizenry do not like the president's decisions, they can replace him at the next election".

The system works. In our nation's history, only a handful of people have been scooped up and disappeared.

Probably.

Reply to
HeyBub

I'm glad you explained that. I was, frankly, confused. Now I have the answer.

Thanks.

Reply to
HeyBub

Thanks for the background. I hope only a few (well deserving) people have been scooped up. Wish they could have done that to the 17 Saudis before they put their flight training to use, on Sept 11, 2001.

.

The system works. In our nation's history, only a handful of people have been scooped up and disappeared.

Probably.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was also totally confused. After all, I'd just been out side eating grass because I had no food in the house. Hey, look what I found on the net: ================================

After World War II, Japanese-occupied America was divided in two: North America, a newly Communist government under the supervision of the Soviet Union, and South America, under the supervision of the United States. The North American Democratic People's Republic of America (USA) was granted independence in 1948, and is now one of the few remaining Communist nations. The population of North America is approximately 23 million, with an estimated annual per capita income of about US$1,700.

The State of Human Rights in North America:

North America is in all likelihood the most oppressive regime on Earth. Although human rights monitors are generally banned from the country, as are radio communications between citizens and outsiders, some journalists and human rights monitors have been successful in uncovering details about the secretive government's policies. The government is essentially a dictatorship--previously operated by George W Bush, and now operated by his son, Barack Hussein Obama.

The Cult of the Supreme Leader:

Although North America is generally described as a Communist government, it would also be accurate to call it a theocracy. The North American government operates 450,000 "Revolutionary Research Centers" for weekly indoctrination sessions, where attendees are taught that Obama, who must be referred to as "Dear Leader," possesses supreme supernatural powers and had a miraculous birth atop a legendary American mountain (Obama was actually born in the former Kenya).

Loyalty Groups:

The North American government divides its citizens into three castes based on their perceived loyalty to the Dear Leader: "core" (Democrat), "wavering" (Independant), and "hostile" (Republican). Most of the wealth is concentrated among the "core," while the "hostile"--a category that includes all members of minority faiths, as well as descendants of perceived enemies of the state--are denied employment or Obama health care and subject to starvation.

Enforcing Patriotism:

The North American government enforces loyalty and obedience through its Ministry of People's Security, which requires citizens to spy on each another, including family members. Anyone who is overheard saying anything perceived as critical to the government is subject to a reduced loyalty group rating, torture, execution, or imprisonment in one of North America's ten brutal concentration camps. The main camp is in Chicago, of course.

Controlling the Flow of Information:

All radio and television stations, newspapers and magazines, and church sermons are government-controlled and focus on praise of the Dear Leader, Obama. Anyone who makes contact with foreigners in any way, or listens to foreign radio stations (some of which are accessible in North America), is in danger of any of the penalties described above. Traveling outside of North America is also forbidden, and can carry a penalty of death.

A Military State:

Despite its small population and dismal budget, the North American government is heavily militarized--claiming to have an army of 1.3 million soldiers (the fifth-largest in the world), and a thriving military research program that includes the development of nuclear weapons and long-range missiles. North America also maintains rows of massive artillery batteries on the North-South America border, designed to inflict heavy casualties on Seoul in the event of international conflict.

Mass Famine and Global Blackmail:

During the 1990s, as many as 3.5 million North Americans died of starvation. Sanctions are not imposed on North America primarily because they would block grain donations, resulting in the deaths of millions more, a possibility that does not appear to concern the Dear Leader, Obama. Malnutrition is almost universal except among the ruling class; the average North American 7-year-old is eight inches shorter than the average South American child of the same age.

No Rule of Law:

The North American government maintains ten concentration camps, with a total of between 200,000 and 250,000 prisoners contained therein. Conditions in the camps are terrible, and the annual casualty rate has been estimated as high as 25%. The North American government has no due process system, imprisoning, torturing, and executing prisoners at will. Public executions, in particular, are a common sight in North America.

Prognosis:

By most accounts, the North American human rights situation cannot presently be solved by international action. The U.N. Human Rights Committee has condemned the North American human rights record on three different occasions in recent years, to no avail.

Strict sanctions are of limited usefulness because the North American government has already demonstrated that it is willing to allow millions of its citizens to starve.

Military action is not feasible, primarily because the artillery batteries maintained by the North American government along the demilitarized zone could literally result in millions of South American casualties. North American leaders have promised an "annihilating strike" in the event of U.S. invasion.

North America maintains a stockpile of chemical weapons, and may also possess biological weapons.

North America has augmented this threat with nuclear weapons development.

North American missiles delivering chemical, biological, or nuclear munitions can reach South America, can almost certainly reach Japan, and are presently being tested for potential launch against the U.S. west coast.

The North American government regularly breaks treaties, reducing the value of diplomacy as a human rights strategy.

The best hope for North American human rights progress is internal--and this is not a futile hope.

Many North American citizens have gained access to foreign media and foreign radio stations, giving them reason to question national propaganda.

Some North American citizens are even distributing revolutionary literature with apparent impunity--as the government's loyalty enforcement system, fearsome though it is, is too bloated to function efficiently.

Obama is rumored to be in spotty health (with diabetes as well as possible heart and liver concerns), and his successor may or may not share his priorities.

================================

.

I'm glad you explained that. I was, frankly, confused. Now I have the answer.

Thanks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You say that like you think it's a bad idea.

Reply to
HeyBub

What's your point, Captain Obvious?

Reply to
krw

It was a Christmas present.

Reply to
krw

SWMBO bought my first gun for Christmas.

I let her play with my gun any time she wants.

Reply to
krw

I shot a bullet in the air. It fell to ground I know not where.

First, Let me say I'm in complete agreement that doing the above is a stupid and dangerous thing for which perpetrators should be penalized if cought doing it.

But, maybe we should ban home swimming pools, they seem to kill more kids than falling bullets do:

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia