Happy New Year!

Page 2 of 2
On 1/2/2012 7:40 PM, HeyBub wrote:

That is a statement born of complete ignorance.

Indeed. Buying a firearm lawfully and giving or selling it to a family member, friend or acquaintance is entirely lawful.
Add pictures here
βœ–

We were told, on at least three occasions in two states, that buying with the intention of transferring it to another person was unlawful. ...even when the other person was in the same family. Ignorance? Maybe. Tell the FFLs.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Vermont. I was told it was federal. They told me the same thing here in Alabama. The name on the yellow-sheet was for the end user. I mentioned, both times how silly it was since it was perfectly legal for me to transfer it after. ...and my wife? Oh, she was told the same thing when she said she was going to buy one for me. Nope. No can do. I only assumed it was federal. It couldn't be a Vermont gun law. They don't have any. ;-)

He doesn't. His parents do.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Don't listen to fools.
From the ATF publication, "Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide"
"An example of an illegal straw purchase is as follows: Mr. Smith asks Mr. Jones to purchase a firearm for Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith gives Mr. Jones the money for the firearm. If Mr. Jones fills out Form 4473, he violates the law by falsely stating that he is the actual buyer of the firearm. Mr. Smith also violates the law because he has unlawfully aided and abetted or caused the making of false statements on the form.
"Where a person purchases a firearm with the intent of making a gift of the firearm to another person, the person making the purchase is indeed the true purchaser. There is no straw purchaser in these instances. In the above example, if Mr. Jones had bought a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Smith as a birthday present, Mr. Jones could lawfully have completed Form 4473. The use of gift certificates would also not fall within the category of straw purchases. The person redeeming the gift certificate would be the actual purchaser of the firearm and would be properly reflected as such in the dealer's records."
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf
(The above presumes the buyer has no knowledge that the eventual recipient is prohibited from owning the weapon. That is the giftee is not a felon, alien, non-resident, or smells funny.)

Nope. A 12-year old, under federal law, can legally OWN a gun, he just can't buy one. This oddity shows up often when 20-year olds become police officers. Usually, the department buys the gun for the officer.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jan 2, 11:35 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I think the issue here is that the law is being interpreted in ways that were never intended. The law is designed to prevent a straw purchase where someone is buying a gun at the request of another. The simplest solution is for the husband to take the wife to the gun store and have her listed as the buyer and actually pay for it with money that he gave her. That means that the wife has to meet all the reqts for the purchase. Problem solved. What's so hard about that?
Add pictures here
βœ–

I decided to go look for federal form 4473 which is the actual form the firearms dealer must have completed prior to purchase. The answer to the issue in question is absolutely clear. Under federal law, it is perfectly legal to buy a firearm as a GIFT. It is excluded as being a straw purchase:
From the Q/A contained on the actual form:
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf
Question lI.a. Actual Transferee/Buyer: For purposes of this fonn. you arc the actual transferee/buyer if you arc purchasing the fireann for yourself or otherwise acquiring the firearm for yourself (e.g., redeeming the firearm /rom pawn/retrieving itFom consignment. firearm raffle winner). Yo~ arc als~ the aetnal transferee/buyer if you arc legitimately purchasing the fireanll as a gift for a third pany. ACTUAL TRANSFEREE/BUYER EXAMPLES: Mr. Smith asks Mr. Jones to purchase a firearm for Mr. Smifh. Mr. Smifh gives Mr. Jones the money for the tirearm. Mr. Jones is NOT THE ACTUAL TRANSFEREE/ BUYER of the fireanll and mnst answer "NO" to question I La. The lkensee may not transfer the firearm to Mr. Jones. However, if Mr. Brown goes to buy a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Black as a present, Ivlr. Brown is the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm and should answer "YES" to question ll.a. However, you may not transfer a firearm to any person you know or have reasonable cause to believe is prohibited under 18 U.S.c. § 922(g), (n), or (x). Please uote: EXCEPTION: If you are picking up a repaired firearm(s) for another person. you are not required to answer II .a. and may proceed to question I I. b.
Add pictures here
βœ–

A. It spoils the idea of a surprise gift. B. It's totally unnecessary. C. It may cause a divorce when the wife, under penalty of perjury, admits she's ineligible to own a gun having formerly served time in a federal prison for white slavery and felonious mopery (exposing oneself to a blind person).
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 09:35:56 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

It was a Christmas present.
Add pictures here
βœ–

SWMBO bought my first gun for Christmas.

I let her play with my gun any time she wants.
Add pictures here
βœ–

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8987359/Americans-buy-record-numbers-of-guns-for-Christmas.html
Add pictures here
βœ–

Look around you. Society is going in the crapper. People are out of jobs. Gangs abound.
What are things like on your planet?
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–
Home Guy wrote:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/ruskin-boy-in-coma-after-being-struck-by-celebratory-new-years-gunfire/1208726
I shot a bullet in the air. It fell to ground I know not where.
First, Let me say I'm in complete agreement that doing the above is a stupid and dangerous thing for which perpetrators should be penalized if cought doing it.
But, maybe we should ban home swimming pools, they seem to kill more kids than falling bullets do:
http://downloads.nsc.org/pdf/Pool_Safety.pdf
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
The Daring Dufas wrote:

This is one of the many consequences of the liberals insistence on "open borders", we import people from third world cultures who think this "celebratory gunfire" is ok. This isn't something from the "redneck south" like the anti kooks try to claim, it's entirely imported.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 1/3/2012 1:53 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Actually it was probably some of my darker skinned cousins in this part of town. It is also heard in rural areas perpetrated by my lighter skinned cousins but out there away from town, it's much safer. The people who handle firearms irresponsibly are of all varieties of human but they all have one thing in common: "stupidity". ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–