Happy Fathers Day

For all you guys out there, have a good one!

I got Don a generator at last. It's not a super fancy sort, just a small one. 3,500 watt 6.5HP unit made by 'All Power'. Don's thinking of building a small shed for it in the back yard. (pour a base, use well vented sides and a hinged top that can be opened to refill it through).

It should be able to run the freezer, a small TV, and a DVD player. In winter, if it was real cold, the freezer would hold on it's own and a garage heater would run off it to protect the pipes.

No intention to plug it to the house power with a transfer switch. It's not really a powerful enough unit for that. For now, it's sitting on the back porch (a 44x13ft open screened place - possibly not far enough to run it there, I think they recommend at least 15 feet but we'll read up on it).

Reply to
cshenk

Thanks for the good wishes.

Sounds like the generator plenty big for emergencies though. Most times all you need is a little light and keep the fridge/freezer cold by running them every few hours.

I bought my wife a bottle of Russell's Reserve 10 year old bourbon for Father's Day. Turns out though, she prefers Scotch so I'm going to have to drink it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

Welcome! Grin, my nickname here doesnt indicate gender but yeah, girl type. I get Motherday gifts.

Thats what I figured. It's probably got more capacity than I estimate but I'm sure it can handle that level of a freezer, a TV, a DVD player (and a few lamps). It would be more a safety issue of stringing cords that would limit it's use.

I live in an area prone to hurricanes and with lots of trees plus above ground electrical cables, so sometimes we can lose power for a few hours, or a few days. This is rare in winter but has happened when we hit the teens. Last time was several years ago but we heated with the fireplace and blocked rooms with blankets over doorways. Didnt lose any water pipes but it was dang close I bet.

Snicker, I saw that in the RFC echo. Nice plan there Dad! In addition to the generator, I got Don a bottle of his preferred rum. He also likes scotch. Me, I go for the same stuff you do.

The joke in our house is I get him a bottle every Xmas and he gets the benefit of a happy drunk dancing about the house (more detail would be OT!).

Reply to
cshenk