Hanging something on drywall

Page 2 of 2

MikeB wrote:

A long vertical board that catches the stud by the door with at least 2 real screws, and a couple molly anchors through the drywall on the hollow side, will be solid enough.
--
aem sends...

Ron wrote:

Stand there at bat at it for an hour. It'll come right down.
--
aem sends...

Ah, it's been there for 8 yrs.

Wait a minute, what do you mean by "bat at it"? Shake it around? Yeah OK, I'll get right on that. Not hardly the same as a small plastic baby gate. And if the friggin lock jam is ALSO loose, someone isn't doing something right.
Ron wrote: (snip)

Without anyone swinging it back and forth, I'll wager. Not at all the same thing. If OP just hung the gate and never touched it again, it'd be fine, too.
--
aem sends...

I have old drywall off framing 2" from a firewall. Drywall was too flimsy for inserts and the weight of the speakers (15 lbs); toggle bolts didn't have room to pop.
Solution was to put a couple of 3/8" x 6" x 16" pieces of wood against wall, screw them into the studs, paint to match, and hang the speakermounts of them.
AZ Nomad wrote:

Which is pretty much what most of us in this thread suggested to OP for his baby/dog gate, albeit with pretty hardwood versus painted plywood. Painted plywood squares can be seen all over the endlessly remodeled 100 YO office building where I work, where various crap has been mounted over the years. The old horsehair plaster over brick had a lot of the same problems as the more modern drywall over steel stud partitions. (Funky old building- look around enough, and you can find almost any construction technique from the last hundred years used somewhere in there.)
--
aem sends...

Install a 3/4" thick ply panel that is screwed into the studs, then screw the gate into the ply. Fix the hole now or later (probably better).
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Hanging-something-on-drywall-440128-.htm MasonJoshua wrote: Invest in a stud finder, its a few bucks. Then make sure where you set the gate you have lags in the studs to make it strong. With the right paint or whatever is can still be pleasing to the eye. MikeB wrote:

--
| Delivered via http://www.homeownershub.com |