Hanging sliding closet door(s) help?

I recently removed the sliding closet doors in all the bedrooms of a house I'm repainting. Because the doors were painted as well I removed the hanging rollers from the top of each door.

Now I can't seem to get the doors installed correctly and/or working so I thought I'd ask for a refresher here?

The rollers come in two depts (we'll call them shallow and deep). Which doors (front/rear) do the deep ones install on?

Also, how does one get the doors with the rollers mounted on them to insert properly in the metal overhead track? No matter what I do I cannot seem to get this in.

So, if anyone has done this successfully in the past I'd sure like to be educated on this task.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
r.mariotti

Generally, you TILT the door toward you... remove the floor guide. Then swing door down, adjust for "level," and put in floor guide.

/paul W3FIS

Reply to
deadgoose

Most of us have enough sense to take a few photos. Find another house that has similar doors and take some pictures with your celphone camera.

Reply to
hrhofmann

If you have two different height rollers, you have a track with two different heights as well. Usually the front of track is lower (closer to floor) and would therefore take the shorter rollers. The doors should be same height when you get them matched up correctly.

You have to remove the floor guide and then tilt the doors to engage the rollers in the track. If you have offset rollers (meaning you can mount them facing forward or facing backward) make sure you have them facing the right direction. It may be opposite for the inner and outer doors.

Try taking off one of each of the rollers and just fitting it up into track to see proper direction and orientation. It's a lot easier to fuss with it and see it without the door in the way.

HTH,

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Thanks all for the pointers. BTW - one particular site I found had a good diagram with instructions to accomplish this all though they were no different that some suggestions here (but they did have pictures - which saved 1000+ words).

The issue I finally had was the doors were about 1/2" too long even though they cleared the floor. Took care of that and the rest were quite easy.

Thanks all - again

Reply to
r.mariotti