Hanging large plaque

Hi, I have a large pottery plaque relief of a knight on a horse which had wire looped hoops embedded in the back. for hanging .These have worn through and broken away. Is there some form or type of fixing that would replace these. The plaque is 17" x 17" x 1" and is quite heavy . It does not seem as if it could be drilled into at the rear. Any ideas would be appreciated. Stuart.

Reply to
Srt

Glue it to a suitably sized and shaped slab of hardwood, and fasten that to the wall? I'd try the local shop that makes trophies and plaques and such- they probably know how to come up with something.

Only other idea would be to make a shadow box for it, with glass over the front if needed.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Hi, Thanks for that. I thought that gluing it to a baseboard may be the best way. Do you have any thoughts on the best type of glue - - epoxy maybe? Stuart.

Reply to
Srt

I'm no expert in ceramics and glazes- the local trophy shop could probably help with that as well. I suspect the stuff they sell for gluing stuff to tile walls in bathrooms would work. Or if the back of the piece is rough, epoxy would probably work.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Maybe you could hang it similar to how they hang heavy mirrors -- a series of clips around the edge.

Reply to
CJT

Suggestion by having small clips under bottome edge and then running the hanging wire or wires through two guides epoxied to the back further up , most of the weight would be taken by the two clips on bottom edge and the two guides would keep plaque from falling away from the wall?

Reply to
terry

Suggestion by having small clips under bottome edge and then running the hanging wire or wires through two guides epoxied to the back further up , most of the weight would be taken by the two clips on bottom edge and the two guides would keep plaque from falling away from the wall?

Many thanks for those suggestions. Seems like I need to take my time a little and consider these possibilities. Will get back when I've made some more progress. Thanks again :) Stuart.

Reply to
Srt