Hanging in Drywall

I want to hang a framed mirror over my fireplace. The thing must weigh 50 lb. I want to make sure its secure. The stud is not exactly in the right place. What do you guys think about thos hooks into the dry wall such as http://www.drywallhooks.com/servlet/Categories "Spring Steel: Spring steel provides high yielding strength without the Heavy Duty Wall Hanger loosing it's original shape. This allows for heavy objects to be hung and not fearing of the product "buckling" under too much stress.
Revolutionary Design: Requires NO TOOLS! No longer will you need to use"
Are these too good to be true, or do they work?
Thanks

Even if they do work you may not be able to use them. Your drywall above the fire place may only be 3/4" away from the masonry. In my house there are 1x2s nailed on the flat to the masonry and the drywall screwed to those firing strips.
Drill a small hole and check your depth. Read the fine print, those hooks hold up to 150# or whatever the wall can support. My 1975 plan house has 3/8" drywall with no more than 6 nails per 4x8 sheet. YMMV.
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 02:02:28 -0700, Senin wrote:

These hooks seem like a dream come true for some applications. You could always use several hooks for your mirror. Every hook you add will help distribute weight.

Franz Fripplfrappl

I would only use a quality mirror hook and a #8 screw or tapcon screw (which depends on wood or brick) to secure it.
I used to have to import them from Chicago but the local Lowes now stocks them in the picture hanging section. I have installed some really large heavy mirrors ( like 5x8 feet framed) using no more than 2 hooks.
Don't recall the brand name. They are blister packed, green images or background on the packaging. About $6 a pair. Use screws not the included nails for most secure installation.
--
Colbyt

Those are those Hercules Hooks pitch man Billy Mays pimps off. All his shit is, well...shit from what I can tell. Be the last thing I'd trust a mirror on. When you see words like revolutionary & miracle, those are keywords for junk.
How wide is the mirror? Centering over fireplace? Where is the stud you found in relation to center?
Answers to those might get you some replies.
I'm not sure about stud layout above a fireplace. Regular framing is usually 16" or 24" apart studs.

work out okay. The studs do not have to be exactly centered.
Don Young

The thing is about 42 X 42, weighing slightly over 50 lbs (mirror on big peice of wood). But one thing I noticed is that there appears to be a stud at the exact center, where I need one. Very convenient.
The back of the frame has a circle with a claps held by 2 screws. There is not wire on the back. It would seem that it might have been a mirror for a bedroom drawer set. I was wondering if I could just screw in a very large screw into the stud and just hand the circle over the end of the screw. The screw I have in mind is much bigger than the kind that come with these 100 lb hook hangers.

Is one stud enough?