hanging door

I'm trying to hang a half door. I used some 'no chisel' hinges. I planed the door and attached the hinges but the door doesn't close all the way without pressure. Am I trying to do something too hard for an newbie? Do 'no chisel' hinges work? Do I need to cut the door edge at a slight angle or put a beveled ship under the hinges?
Also, I really liked using the electric hand planer but I can't think of anything else to use it for to justify buying one... Can you help me justify buying one. : -)
formerly known as 'cat arranger' wrote:

Of course! You need it to skinny down the door so it fits. Also to put a slight bevel (maybe 3 degrees) on the vertical edge on the latch side. That lets the door close easily but doesn't show a huge, wide gap when closed that screams AMATEUR.
Re no mortise hinges, they work but - depending on door weight - aren't exactly the best thing since sliced bread. You see, it is the mortises - in both door and jamb - that support the door, not the screws. The screws are mostly to keep the hinge wings in the mortise.
I've hung a couple of doors , but just a couple. Never used no-chisel hinges .. my dad loaned me his door hinge and jamb template... makes routering the hinges to a door and jamb in perfect spots with the top door gap set perfect ...... hinging doors/jambs perfectly becomes simple and quick.
Door-knob side of the door gets an almost unnoticeable bevel so it will swing the radius without rubbing, the hinge side is square cut.
in message

: > I'm trying to hang a half door. I used some 'no chisel' : > hinges. I planed the door and attached the hinges but : > the door doesn't close all the way without pressure. : > Am I trying to do something too hard for an newbie? : > Do 'no chisel' hinges work? Do I need to cut the : > door edge at a slight angle or put a beveled ship under : > the hinges? : > : > Also, I really liked using the electric hand planer but I : > can't think of anything else to use it for to justify buying : > one... Can you help me justify buying one. : -)
Sounds easy but putting this door up with 'no chisel' hinges sounded easy too. I wonder if I can rent a 'door hinge and jamb template'. Are they expensive to buy... can I get at Home Depot? And my router sucks... : -) The way the door is, is starting to look better all the time. : =)
It sounds like the door may be going into hinge bind. This is a condition where the square cut edge of the hinge side is hitting the jamb before the door is fully closed. There should be a 3* bevel on both the hinge and strike sides. You can check for the problem with a dollar bill. Close the door on a dollar, you should be able to slide the dollar.
"formerly known as 'cat arranger'"