hanging door

I'm trying to hang a half door. I used some 'no chisel' hinges. I planed the door and attached the hinges but the door doesn't close all the way without pressure. Am I trying to do something too hard for an newbie? Do 'no chisel' hinges work? Do I need to cut the door edge at a slight angle or put a beveled ship under the hinges?

Also, I really liked using the electric hand planer but I can't think of anything else to use it for to justify buying one... Can you help me justify buying one. : -)

Reply to
formerly known as 'cat arrange

Of course! You need it to skinny down the door so it fits. Also to put a slight bevel (maybe 3 degrees) on the vertical edge on the latch side. That lets the door close easily but doesn't show a huge, wide gap when closed that screams AMATEUR.

Re no mortise hinges, they work but - depending on door weight - aren't exactly the best thing since sliced bread. You see, it is the mortises - in both door and jamb - that support the door, not the screws. The screws are mostly to keep the hinge wings in the mortise.

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

I've hung a couple of doors , but just a couple. Never used no-chisel hinges .. my dad loaned me his door hinge and jamb template... makes routering the hinges to a door and jamb in perfect spots with the top door gap set perfect ...... hinging doors/jambs perfectly becomes simple and quick.

Door-knob side of the door gets an almost unnoticeable bevel so it will swing the radius without rubbing, the hinge side is square cut.

Reply to
bumtracks

It sounds like the door may be going into hinge bind. This is a condition where the square cut edge of the hinge side is hitting the jamb before the door is fully closed. There should be a 3* bevel on both the hinge and strike sides. You can check for the problem with a dollar bill. Close the door on a dollar, you should be able to slide the dollar.

DanG

: > Also, I really liked using the electric hand planer but I : > can't think of anything else to use it for to justify buying : > one... Can you help me justify buying one. : -)

Sounds easy but putting this door up with 'no chisel' hinges sounded easy too. I wonder if I can rent a 'door hinge and jamb template'. Are they expensive to buy... can I get at Home Depot? And my router sucks... : -) The way the door is, is starting to look better all the time. : =)